Careers in Game Development

Started by
12 comments, last by Virii 18 years, 4 months ago
Ok

Web designer , forget about that, for me it's awfull, it's interesting when you do it for fun but not when your life depends on it and you're not going to make good money, you gotta be a cheap bastard or they'll outsource.

You are not going to get rich making games (working for a company), just live confortable (no big houses,ferraris, well maybe if you save for a couple of years,etc).

The way I see it, If I were you I would get into college and study computer science or any other computer related career, that would secure your future in case something goes wrong with films.

And pursue your dream of making movies (since that's what you obviously want).while working as a web designer/database programmer
If you are successfull you'll make big bucks and you'll be working on something you love, and if something goes wrong you can always get a computer related job (games,databases).

Advertisement
What exactly do database engineers do and why are they so sought after? Also, what kind of major should I take in college? Major in computer science, minor in software engineering? That would ensure me to work as a systems administrator, or as a computer programmer for a game or personal company, wouldn't it?
College is not job training. If you think it is or your college thinks it is [DeVry, ITT, etc...] look elsewhere.

Quote:Original post by Virii
Is it a common thing to need to look for a new job or is it once you get in your there to stay for the rest of your life?

Today it is common to change jobs fairly often. In the past it was less so. My father was a CS major back in the day. He was hired out of college and worked at that company for 25 years.

Such things are largely unheard of these days.

Quote:Not only do I want a good secure job, but I dont want to go 10 years and go back to college for something else.

Then see the lead-in, and remember to keep learning. For example, my father went to college and wrote programs using punch cards. Even if you stay at the same place for years, things change. You need to be able to adapt.

Quote:
Does a Software Engineering degree give you the need knowledge to not only create, program, maintain and develope games, but to also create websites?

It depends on the degree program. Likely the program won't teach you either, but instead give a good foundation so that you can learn either easily and well.

Quote:
Im 19 years old, I love video games and I would love to develope games for a living, but how can I do this and keep a GOOD job making good money?

Working hard, making good decisions, saving money, budgeting correctly, getting lucky.

Quote:
What are the chances of me starting the next big game?

Slim. You're only 19, and have a long way to go before even considering it. There's so many things that can go wrong in the meantime to have a decent chance.

Quote:
The next big company?

Slim. You're...

Quote:
What are the chances that I get a job working for someone making more then 100K a year?

Out of undergrad? None.

Within the course of your lifetime, pretty good. Given inflation and all :]

That's even plausible if you're an above average developer living in a high cost-of-living area after a few years 'earning your stripes'.

Quote:
What are the chances that I cant find a job once Im out of college?

Depends on the college, your ability, the job market in the area, the economy of the nation...

The fact of the matter is that you've four years before any of this matters. Focus now on picking a good college, going there and doing well. That will provide more options, a better chance that those options will be successful, and a better base for you to change and learn and adapt since you will have to; no matter what.
I already have my plan on what college I want to go to, but the only problem is I dont know what I want to major in, thats where this comes into play since I need to decide where I want to head in life..if I major in web development, I would start heading towards that as a career, if I Majored in computer science or software engineering I would lean towards game development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement