Sign in to follow this  
jack_bauer

Java GUIs. Pointers/Advice needed

jack_bauer    122
Ive got a project to do in java, I have to create a network bulletin board system. The problem is Java (and inparticular GUIs in Java) has always been a weak area of mine. The problem i'm having is, imagine this: I want to create a sort-of text-box in the screen which lists all the individual topics that have been posted, and users should be able to selct any of them and load the full topic up. The problem is i dont know how to create a read-only text box which would be divided up into sections (topics) and allows user selection. Can someone give me an idea what to look for? It seems like (and probably is) a really simple thing to do, but i've been browsing through some of the documentation on java.sun.com but i dont really know what im looking for. Any other general pointers on how better to implement it would be welcome too ;) Thanks in advance.

haegarr    7372
A text box is actually not the suitable element of what you want to do. Take a one-column JTable into account. Maybe a JTree (for an outline like view) is also a solution of what you want, but I would use JTable.