MS Platform SDK install trouble & SDL

Started by
4 comments, last by templewulf 18 years, 4 months ago
So, I've been having difficulty using SDL with MSVC8 Express, but I'm determined to do it because I love the new IDE. I get a linker error for uuid.lib, which I thought was part of the platform SDK. So, I decide to download the PSDK for VC8, but when I run it, it tells me it can't find visual studio to install itself onto. I'm at work right now, so I can't give you the exact message, but I get the feeling that there are some flags I have to turn on before I try to install the PSDK. My main question is about the PSDK if anyone is familiar with it. What all do I have to do before I install it? Is uuid.lib a part of the SDK, or am I just chasing after false solutions? I'm using MSVC8 Express (the free download) on WinXP Pro SP2. I also have installed MSVC7 Professional, which includes the SDK from 2003. I had Code::Blocks installed, but uninstalled it just recently. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP, so I know I'm using the right SDK package. Thanks in advance for your help.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Advertisement
uuid.lib is in the lib folder of my platform SDK installation. I can't say anything about the rest.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
uuid.lib is in the lib folder of my platform SDK installation. I can't say anything about the rest.

Thanks, SiCrane. What IDE are you using? Did it come with the SDK or did you have to install it yourself? msdn directs me to a PSDK that says it's for Windows Server 2003 but lists WinXP under compatible OSs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I searched msdn, but couldn't find any articles dealing with setup issues with the SDK. I hope someone with more experience in this area can help me out.
This is with the latest Platform SDK installation, which was labeled the 2003 Server Edition. And this is an XP machine (technically a Tablet PC, but it's XP SP2 based). I have no idea about diagnosing Platform SDK installation problems because I've never encountered them before. Sorry.
Hi

try to download the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK Full Download instead. I had the same problem and solved it by install the full version.
Once it's done follow theses instructions from step 3 to 5 (skip step 1 and 2).

Good Luck :)
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
Quote:Original post by iliak
Hi

try to download the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK Full Download instead. I had the same problem and solved it by install the full version.
Once it's done follow theses instructions from step 3 to 5 (skip step 1 and 2).

Good Luck :)

Thanks a bunch! I'm at work right now, so I'll have to wait awhile to try it. If it doesn't work out, I'll be back!

Ratings++, by the way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement