MMO question

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I decided to throw it in the Beginner's forum. Feel free to move it if it's out of place. My question has to do with MMOs. I'm not thinking of making an mmo and making billions of dollars but I've always wanted to make an online RPG for my friends an I. Basically I want to know if it's feasible? Kind of a "on invite" mmo. This takes out the server capacity problem, I suppose you could call it a Limited Multiplayer Online RPG :P. Idealy I'd like the world to be constantly there so a player doesn't have to host the game so I suppose there'd have to be a dedicated server constantly online? I'm a 3rd year software engineering student with no real game programming experience and I don't think I could program this any time soon but I'm curious if this hobby project would be very expensive?
Advertisement
It shouldn't be expensive at all. The only thing you need is a half decent internet connection ( cables/adsl, no dial up ) for your server. I would say your biggest expense would be the development tools ( unless you go all freeware stuff ). So things like VisualC++ and some sort of modeling package can run into the hundreds ( thousands? ) of dollars.

At this point in your game you don't need a super powerful machine to act as a server.
Thanks, that's awesome.

At this point, yes everything would be freeware. This would be a hobby project if I ever clear up some time.

Anyways, thanks again

:)
Just as an example, we've been working on our MMO hobby project for several years now and have not spent any significant money in it yet. Stuff is donated and I use gentoo for development :)
If you need a 3d modeling program, i have one. Email me at seaotter221@hotmail.com if you want it
Would that be considered an MMO, though? :)
MMO = _massively_ multiplayer online
Quote:Original post by sanch3x
I'm a 3rd year software engineering student with no real game programming experience and I don't think I could program this any time soon but I'm curious if this hobby project would be very expensive?

Look at the old MUDs. We easily ran 40 people simultaniously on a 16MHz 386 with 4MB of RAM and a 300 *MEGA*byte hard drive, running some version of System V UNIX. Combine any cheap computer nowadays running Linux for a server and a typical broadband connection and you're set.

The server we are running on has ~400 npcs, ~50-100 concurrent users ( ok not really massive yet ) and is hardly registering in a 'top' command. Maybe 5% cpu usage. It is a bit of a memory hog though :)
Yea me and a buddy were thinking about starting a MMORPG and we honestly think its going to be big, in the 10's of thousands of people. what type of server would we need for this?
Quote:Original post by acraig
It shouldn't be expensive at all. The only thing you need is a half decent internet connection ( cables/adsl, no dial up ) for your server. I would say your biggest expense would be the development tools ( unless you go all freeware stuff ). So things like VisualC++ and some sort of modeling package can run into the hundreds ( thousands? ) of dollars.

At this point in your game you don't need a super powerful machine to act as a server.

Visual C++ Express is free if you download it by Nov 2006.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement