Sign in to follow this  
Michalson

[web] Simulators for mobile web developers

Michalson    1657
I'm trying to compile a list of desktop emulators for testing mobile websites (preferably of the free kind, no one wants to pay $100 per emulator, especially seeing as there are over 40 different mobile web browsers alone). To start off... Openwave - emulates the Openwave browser, painless to install as it needs no proxy or special network setup (just install and run).

Michalson    1657
Blackberry - lets you simulate various Blackberry models (download is 35MB for the latest version, their server doesn't quite understand this whole resume/content-length thing). For control, make sure you use the mouse wheel (there is a wheel and escape button on the side of most models). So far I have been unable to get the browser application to actually connect to anything.

Opera - Under view, select small screen to partially emulate mobile rendering. This is far from perfect, and you'll likely want to disable javascript, but is obviously a quick way to get a general idea how something will look, good for instant testing during development. You can also manually size the window to a specific size and select fit to width (to simulate different screensizes) and there are options to disable scrollbars and mouse input.

aidan_walsh    739
PSP Web Browser Simulator - Uses the IE component to recreate the Playstation Portable web experience on your PC. Not entirely compatible with all PSP-intended pages, but should be good enough to give a pretty decent idea of how it will look. So far the only of its kind that I have come across.

Sander    1332
The biggets problem with webdevelopment for handhelds seem to be the browser differences. Some browsers (like Opera) will load hand-held specific CSS and lay it out like you intended. Others skip the handheld CSS and try to render the full page intended for destops and then strip stuff out, like tables and big images. This makes handhelds harder to target then desktops.

BTW: Does anyone have any clue what browser there is on the Nokia 6021? I just bought one yesterday.