Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Accessing Lua identifier names from C/C++

swordfish    276
Does anybody know if it's possible to access the identifier name strings of Lua5 variables from C/C++? I suspect it involves some sort of global table, but I can't figure it out and there seems to be no information on the topic. To give you an idea of what I mean, here is a sample from one of my current scripts:
--lua5
MyButton = LuaGUIButton("MyButton", "Click Here", 10, 10, 75, 35)

I am required to pass a string, "MyButton", as a function parameter (from Lua) in order for the invoked C++ 'LuaGUIButton-interface' class' constructor (I'm using Lunar to bind my C++ classes to Lua) to know what to name the requested 'GUIButton widget' which the interface class (LuaGUIButton) then passes to the singleton 'GUIManager' which inserts the widget into it's scene-graph system as a spatial-geometry node. Although it's not absolutely necessary, this widget/node needs to be named the same as the variable which the user (Lua script-programmer) will be using to access it. The above sample scrupt works fine, but as you can see, it's not exactly what I'd call "professional". Basically what I need is for the C++ LuaGUIButton-interface class' constructor to automatically find the identifier name of the "yet-to-be-assigned" Lua variable - this way the user (Lua script-writer) can utilize the following usage:
--lua5
MyButton = LuaGUIButton("Click Here", 10, 10, 75, 35)

...and the GUIManager will have created a widget/node named "MyButton" and with properties provided as function parameters, without the user explicitly providing the name as a function parameter. I found this script which I think illustrates the solution I need, but I can't get it to run, and even if it did run, I don't fully understand how it works - perhaps it will strike a chord in someone's head:
mt = {
       __newindex=function (t,k,v)
                       if type(v)=='table' then
                        rawset(t,k,v)
                        rawset(t[k], "n", tostring(k)) -- instance name to 'n'
                        return
                     end
                     rawset(t,k,v)
                  end
}
setmetatable(getfenv(), mt)
grape = function()
   local t = {n=''}
   function t:test(x)
      print( n..x ) -- ERROR here, Lua says 'n' is a nil value and cant be concatenated
   end
   return t
end
newgrape = grape(", Awesome!")
newgrape:test()

--This script SHOULD print "newgrape, Awesome!"

I've done some thinking and perhaps keeping it the way it currently is would provide a more robust usage, and perhaps even solve a few future problems which I can already see forming, but I'd still like to know how to do this. Thanks in advance for any help.