Sign in to follow this  
GDKnight

Datastructures & Algorithms

I've often wondered how many offical datastructures ther are to study. I can think of a few off the top of my head but I am sure im missing some. I was also wondering if anyone can suggest a good datastructures & algorithm book. Many people seem to suggest "Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd ed." but I have heard its a very academic type of book or something like that. Can anyone suggest another one that covers many aspects but perhaps less like "Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd ed."? Thanks [grin]

Data Structures & Algorithms in JAVA.

It was recommended in my university course as a replace for the Introduction to Algorithms book for those of us who found Introduction to Algorithms too academic or prefered the algorithms in java rather than the version of psuedo code that Introduction to Algorithms uses.

click here for a fairly comprehensive list of algorithms and data structures

My favorite algorithm books are:
a) Network Flows by Ahuja, Magnanti and Orlin (everything about graphs and flows)
b) Algorithm Design by Kleinberg and Tardos (a good overview about all different classes of algorithms, good preparation for programming contests)

I would also recommend Introduction to Algorithms (2nd Edition). It is very academic and formal, and there is a lot of math, but the rigor pays off. You will come out with a fundamentally different understanding of algorithms and data structures than you would receive from a less rigorous, casual book.

If you are fine with a superficial understanding of algorithms and data structures, then I'm sure any of the normal non-college-textbooks out there will suit you fine (Data Structures for Game Programmers by Ron Penton is an excellent casual resource on the subject).

There is also The Art of Computer Programming, which I have never read but have heard good things about.

There are lot of DS and algos. Fortunately, you don't need many DS to do your job. A simple list, stack or array are sufficient unless you want speed and then a hash map or table or memory to save cpu cycles come handy. There are lot of algos out there and for that I would suggest you look thru other people's source code once you discover they're doing something similar to yours. No need to study all DS or algos under the sun because if you did you wouldn't have time to complete your game. The field is just too huge.

Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
Quote:
Original post by GDKnight
...I have heard its a very academic type of book or something like that.

Its a very academic subject, this is to be expected.

CM

True. What do you expect, something with big pictures and no dif-fi-cult words? [wink]

No one says yo uhave to read it all from A to Z, but it is a damn good book if this is what you're after. Read the bits you need, maybe skim over the rest, and you're off to a good start