Sign in to follow this  
Just Chris

Strategy RPG with a franchise/dynastic twist

Just Chris    142
The following might sound a lot like Wavinator's idea at first, but I'm using the term 'dynasty' loosely. I wouldn't use such aspects as family politics, genetics, or estates. Instead, my idea is to manage a group of combatants, like a traditional srategic RPG, but with longer-lasting effects and deeper involvement in the game world and its history. The term 'dynasty' is more treated like a sports dynasty; simply a group or a team building on reputation over the years. Some ideas are inspired from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but with variations for my own game. The game takes place in a world where kingdom territory is acquired and defended by small factions or clans. Like FFTA, the clans are very competitive and like to show up each other, even though they technically represent the same kingdom. I want to take extend this competitive aspect purther and portray clan battles in a more engaging light, almost like a sport. Competing clans within the same kingdom might seem odd, but in the game world it's accepted as a way to keep combatants strong and well-trained. You have no direct control over what goes in the royal family, but, given that you're a part of the kingdom's military backbone, having a strong clan should have its great rewards. Some ideas that incorporate a dynastic/franchise element to clan battling: - Rival clans from the same kingdom might request trades- they look for a gain by swapping out someone they don't need. Likewise, you should do the same. - Instead of someone generously asking to join your clan, they ask for a price. Budgeting "salaries" for clan members is just as important as buying items and equipment. If you can't afford to pay everyone, someone will have to be "laid off". - Time passes in the game. People in your clan age, and retire when they reach a certain age. The age factor can affect your person's stats, creating the incentive to power up your characters as much as possible before reaching their "peak age". - Your clan's responsiveness and morale depends on who your clan leader is. He's responsible in dictating actions for your clan, and having a more experienced, reputable leader produces better results. Old clan members would be useful for this title, and their good reputation will come from earning... - Special accomplishments, such as protecting the kingdom from a foreign invasion, are recorded. Sometimes accomplishments are made by individuals, and their name will be remembered for generations. This results in your clan getting more reputation and respect from the royalty and the rest of the kingdom, as well as... - Bigger purchasing power. More requests are likely to pour in from potential recruits since they more likely want to be a part of a robust, venerable clan. Your wins and losses play a good part in this. There is no set long-term goal in this game, other than to be the most respected and distinguished clan in your kingdom. Admittedly, I don't play many sports games, but things like franchise and dynasty modes sound like a great implementation to the strategy RPG genre. If you have any suggestions, or find any inconsitencies with my ideas, let me know.

Wavinator    2017
Ah, darn, I thought someone else was foolish enough to try and tackle families and generations. :)

I don't see any big problems, but I have a few questions/suggestions:

Clan member aging: What about making this a function of damage they take in battles? You'd have to tradeoff short term gain in battles with long term investment.

Do clan members become more expensive as they age?

How do you plan to represent time passing?

How would morale work, especially when low? Would it affect combat directly, or recruitment ability?

You mention defending the kingdom. How would this work, when would the kingdom need defending, and how would you "show up" your rivals?

Just Chris    142
Clan member aging: What about making this a function of damage they take in battles? You'd have to tradeoff short term gain in battles with long term investment.

I was thinking along these lines. Aging will effect the defense and speed attributes. A defense function is triggered every time an enemy attacks.

Do clan members become more expensive as they age?

They might as well. Older members are likely to be more highly skilled and experienced. Making them more expensive to "maintain" is a tradeoff for having extra skills at your disposal. They can even ask for a raise if they level up high enough!

How do you plan to represent time passing?

You fight in different locations in a map. Depending on your mode of travel, it can take several days to travel somewhere, and more days to come back to your town. A week's time can pass after 1 battle. Considering other things, clan battles happen 24/7. To participate in trades, for example, you might have to show up at the rival clans' home town for the arrangement.

How would morale work, especially when low? Would it affect combat directly, or recruitment ability?

Morale can be most likely be affected by whoever's leading giving orders to your clan, and how effective they are. Also, the familiarity of the location affects morale. If it's a place you've fought in and won frequently, there could be high morale. If you suffer a major loss, that's a big drop in morale. It adversely affects the accuracy of its members' attacks.

But more importantly, a low morale increases the "dropout rate" of your clan. If you rack up too many losses, members will either ask for a higher pay more frequently, or just leave. To avoid this, the player would have to pick smaller challenges, or otherwise he'll be fighting alone and back on square one.

You mention defending the kingdom. How would this work, when would the kingdom need defending, and how would you "show up" your rivals?

This one is more of a toss-up at the moment, and not exactly sure how I would add it into the game. I suppose it could be integrated into the storyline, by having a series of battles that you won against clans to trigger an event where foreign invaders come in, and fight stronger clans, possibly teeming with more exotic kinds of skills and jobs (i.e. jobs that would be rare to find local clan members practicing).

Buccano    122
This sounds like it could be a very fun game. I like all of those ideas.

Actually I'm working on something similar, but web based. In my game you're a manager and you manage a team consisting of some characters, and then fight other players/teams in turn based combat.
As a manager you can also buy you some skills, or enhance your battle arena with various buildings that helps your team grow stronger.

It's not really finished yet, but if you want to take a look at it I can post the a link later today.

Buccano

ronnybrendel    100
@chris:

do you know "syndicate" for sega megadrive?

its simmilar .. you have a little group ...
you can buy new men, and you can by vitals, arms, legs etc. ( kybernetik) ... by the you got a strom cyborg "gang" ..

with you group you have to complete mission etc ... maybe you search for rom and emulator and have a look at it for inspiration ...

this thing reminds me of "commandos" and "jagged alliance" :D ...
-----------
some questions:
- is this a story based game?
you know with war, love, intrigues and all that stuff ...

or is it more a online challenging game?
(or both ofcourse)

- dont know if i i overread, but:
in what time does the game take place?

are you thinking of big clans like ... over 16 men or even more, so the playstyle is more like warcraft

or is it for very small groups, so its kinda final fantasy?

- has every single teammate and inventory, with stuff, spells, equipment

Just Chris    142
Most likely they will be groups of 6-8 people when you battle, but you can have more than that in your actual clan.

The time setting? There will be medieval elements, probably with touches of Industrial-revolution type of settings and designs (blimps, steam-driven machines, etc). Things inspired by Last Exile and Steamboy will work for the design of the setting.

I'm not concerned with a concrete storyline for the moment. Right now I just want to form ideas for simulating clan battles. It won't be online (that's still out of the scope for me) but when I get most of my components for the game done, it will still have a hook. It doesn't follow the traditional leveling up system of most RPGs and instead you level up skills, but in a way that you prioritize what skills you want to have. That is, skill levels don't stay up permanently. If you neglect to use certain skills they will eventually drop down levels, which affects the damage and accuracy of those moves.

Now I have a question on how to program the simulation of there being several clans you can fight against. I have a character class, and soon will add a clan class to manage your characters with. The easiest way to do this, I think, is to just randomly create a new clan with members with random attributes, and those are based on your clan's own attributes. When the battle's done, that clan is erased and there's no future history of it.

But the "random clan" thing isn't something I'd want to do in the end. Rather, I want to be able to generate a dozen or so clans when the game starts, and as you play I want to give the impression that these clans are fighting "in the background" so that their skills evolve over time as well. Therefore, when you are done fighting with one of them, it could trigger an event to calculate outcomes of other clan battles based on their stats, see which clans won, and them alter their stats. This probably covers material found in sports team simulators, but tell me which is the better approach.