hello

Started by
6 comments, last by TgAmE 18 years, 4 months ago
hi, i am new to the game industry and game programing but i know basics. I have read the get started page and it was very helpful, but i just had one question. What game engin should i use? I was planing to use Dark basics but didn't know wat eles i should get with it. So if some 1 can be so kind to tell me wat to get with dark basics or a game ening that allows u to make a rpg I would be gratful. -TgAmE-/~TJ~
Advertisement
Welcome to gamedev!,

Firstly i wouldn't expect you to be able to jump straight into a game engine and make an RPG straight up. I would suggest reading up on the fundamentals such as a core language like C++ and then maybe how one of the graphics API that you want to get to know works.

It would also be important for you to read into some common scripting mechanisms. This is all in aid of you beginning to understand the tools you would be using when making use of a full engine to make an rpg.

So i would check out the For Beginner section and google on some of these keywords and get up to scratch on the documentation:

- OpenGL
- DirectX - both graphics APIs
- Python
- game architecture and the type
- C++
- game engines architecture and the like.

I hope all this helps,

ace
thank u for the welcome

from wat i understood it was very helpful and i thank u for the post but by basic i ment following a tut. By game engin i ment somthing like ml or pw.

Sorry about that.

-TgAmE-/~TJ~
Erm... what are ml and pw?

Oh, and for a compiler/IDE combo I suggest either Visual C++ 2005 Express or Code::Blocks.
I recommend Torque 2d at Garage Games. It's a very powerful and robust 2d engine, and should get done what you're looking for.Along with that you might want to get Adobe Photoshop, Jasc PaintShop Pro, or The Gimp. Have fun!
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
Erm... what are ml and pw?

Oh, and for a compiler/IDE combo I suggest either Visual C++ 2005 Express or Code::Blocks.

I would definately go with VC 2005. Both Code::Blocks & VC 2005 are free, so go ahead and give VC 2005 a try.
Be sure not to rule out the possibility of using C# or Visual Basic .NET. C# is a fantastic language and quite easy to learn.

My recommendation would be to choose a language and put focus on it. Once you learn programming concepts, it becomes easy to learn any programming language. From there, you can look towards graphic APIs like SDL or Allegro, followed by OpenGL and DirectX. But keep your goals set and keep an easy path for learning (Tic Tac Toe -> Text-Based RPG -> Pong -> Breakout -> *). Make at least five simple games before moving onto the next stage. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
thank u for all ur post u have all bin very helpful and i am really puting thought into wat u all said also about making a small game first just to learn the basics.

thank u for all ur help

-TgAmE-/~TJ~

also ml and pw r game engines that alows u not to make a game but like a server in the game

[Edited by - TgAmE on November 26, 2005 12:06:52 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement