• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ganoosh_

OpenGL Different bit depths in a game

This topic is 4616 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most games give an option of bit depth whether you want 16 or 32. I was just wondering if you change it to 16, do they images you load in have to be 16 bit as well. I'm currently reading everything in and converting it to 24bit data for use in rendering, but if I change it to 16, do I have to load 16bit data in? By the way I'm using OpenGL.

Advertisement
The driver does the job of converting the texture format, so no need to worry about it. You can, however, use two different sets of textures anyway - one 16 bit and one 24 bit version. The 16 bit versions will use less memory an cause less bus traffic so performance will increase slightly.
The 16 bit option in games almost always refers to the framebuffer bitdepth, though, not the textures.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!