Beginner Windows Question

Started by
4 comments, last by core-nuts 18 years, 4 months ago
I have recently began my journey to learn how to program under the Windows API. I was doing alright under Dev-C++, but I have recently switched over to Visual Studio 2005. I am now have some problems just compiling the simplest of programs I was using as a test.

// Windowstest.cpp
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
  MessageBox(NULL, "Hello World!", "Message", MB_OK);
  return 0;
}

And I get these errors: Windowstest.cpp(9) : error C2664: 'MessageBoxW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [13]' to 'LPCWSTR' 1> Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast Now, I can cast the two strings to LPCWSTR and it will compile fine but print out jiberish in the actual program. So I guess I just have no idea why it is not working as is...if it is something specific to Visual Studio or what...I have tried to search for an answer but can't seem to find anything useful, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated... Thanks!
If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain - do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.
Advertisement
Oh okay nevermind, I think I found my solution...

Something about defaulting to unicode standards...?
If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain - do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.
VS 2005 defaults to Unicode, therefor you have to append the L-macro to simple text strings:

MessageBox( NULL, L"Hello World!", L"Message", MB_OK );

Either that or you turn off Unicode in your project setting.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Yea thats what I read on another post...I ended up just turning unicode off for now. But I was curious if there was any benefit to using unicode, this is the first I've heard of it and if I would be better off using it from now on, I will do so.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.
I hope I am not too late to reply...

Unicode is basically what the name says, Universal Character codes. Unicode has letters ranging from the Latin to Arabic alphabet. So pratically every letter/symbol/number known to man is defined somewhere in Unicode. The only thing is, Unicode has up to 20,000 values. That is why you have to use "L". Unlike 8 bit ASCII characters, Unicode uses 2 bytes to denote each character in its massive library. The downfall is that not a lot of programmers use unicode, so consequently Unicode is still an unheard word to some. Was that of any help?

Good question core-nuts [smile]. rating++
Yes! Very helpful. Thank you so much.

Though I'm stuck on something else now, one of these days I'll be able to actually START coding under Visual Studio...ugghhh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement