Sign in to follow this  
Asheh

Large Worlds

Hi, I am wondering how to handle a large world. The only way I can think of handling a large world is splitting it up into sections, and piecing them together into one large map. This way the chunks of the level or world can be loaded/unloaded when required. Is this the correct way to go about it?

Quote:
Original post by Asheh
Hi,

I am wondering how to handle a large world. The only way I can think of handling a large world is splitting it up into sections, and piecing them together into one large map. This way the chunks of the level or world can be loaded/unloaded when required.

Is this the correct way to go about it?

Spanish moss, quad tree, BSP tree.

Of course you could also create world on the fly and don't store too much.

There are several options for a stand alone game:
- you may use world patches and keep loaded only a few of them, then replace them by stream as you need them.
- of course any kind of space partitioning is useful (and it may be enough if memory is not a concern).
- there is allways "Loading" as an option (ex in Halo for xbox from time to time there was a 1-2 seconds loading message when they were loading the next part of the level ... I think they where using some kind of #1 option)

For a mmog you may split your world on several servers and then migrate your entityes from one server to another when an entity is passing from one server's side of the level to another's.

Hope I helped