Is this even possible in OpenGL

Started by
7 comments, last by Chon-Ji 18 years, 4 months ago
Is this possible to make in OpenGL For a beginner like me, would I be able to create something like this? http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Chon-Ji/orange.jpg I don't plan to make it very detail, probably only the body, face and if possible also the wings
Advertisement
Well I believe that would be coded with some sort of file loader such as a loader for 3DS, MD2, MD3 etc. Files its not hard coded, its designed by a 3d modeler and then rendered using an OpenGL application.

Its quite simple if you can understand the file format its exported to but really its more of a something that a 3D modeler designs, its an extreme waste of time hard coding it, in fact its very improbable that it was hard coded.

Now if your talking about modeling it in a software application like 3ds max, maya, soft image etc. its very possible.
- GDKnight
If you draw it up in your modelling program of choice and then import it into your application, of course it's possible. Popular 3D engines like Irrlicht and Ogre come prepackaged with model loading functions [wink].
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by GDKnight
its an extreme waste of time hard coding it

Indeed it is, and I knows from experience. Our bloody graphics lecturer is insisting that our project (render a scene with a number of characters posing) be hard coded. Its an absolute PITA.

Chon-Ji, its possible, but certainly not necessary.
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Quote:Original post by aidan_walsh
Quote:Original post by GDKnight
its an extreme waste of time hard coding it

Indeed it is, and I knows from experience. Our bloody graphics lecturer is insisting that our project (render a scene with a number of characters posing) be hard coded. Its an absolute PITA.

Chon-Ji, its possible, but certainly not necessary.

That project sounds like a pain but is your professor expecting the characters to be detailed? Because if not then there is always the elementary "robot made from translated/rotated boxes". But then again...that wouldnt be "A+" material.
www.lefthandinteractive.net
Anim8or supports exporting to c-source. Makes such task like that much easier ;)
Quote:Our bloody graphics lecturer is insisting that our project (render a scene with a number of characters posing) be hard coded.

If you have working model importer code, then it's pretty easy to write a small program which imports a model, and then spits out the vertex arrays as arrays of structs and the index arrays as arrays of integers. Paste into your program and you're done!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by jon723
That project sounds like a pain but is your professor expecting the characters to be detailed? Because if not then there is always the elementary "robot made from translated/rotated boxes". But then again...that wouldnt be "A+" material.

Fortunatly, thats exactly what he is looking for. Unfortunatly, I've never had much of a head for thinking in 3 dimensions, but I seem to be making some progress (right now my robot does tend to remind people of the door to the mens bathroom...).

Quote:If you have working model importer code, then it's pretty easy to write a small program which imports a model, and then spits out the vertex arrays as arrays of structs and the index arrays as arrays of integers. Paste into your program and you're done!

It would, but what he's looking for is basically a general understanding of how OGL works (translations, positioning, lighting, some glu extensions, etc).
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Uhm....I'm not sure we're aloud to use object models, I think what are professor wants is a plain C/C++ code with some images if necessary. The very hard thing I find about that is the sine wave wrapped around the sphere, I can't really do it :(

So if it's without a 3D modeling app then it's too much for noob like me?

Is there such a thing that can export your work to C-code? Oh well, I might as well try Anim8or

^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement