Python vs. Blitz

Started by
13 comments, last by HopeDagger 18 years, 4 months ago
Hullo, I'm 13 years old, and am working on a first person shooter. I've been using Python, and have been progessing fairly well. I like how it's much easier to comprehend, when in comparison to the C variant languages, or even Java. Just a few days ago, I saw a project being made in Blitz3D, a MMORPG. http://afelhem.com/ . I was to say the least, surprised. I was under the impression that any of the Blitz languages, DarkBasic, and other similar "gameing languages" would not get you anywhere. A year ago, I picked up a book on Blitz2D, and really liked the language, however the book was a few years outdated and was replaced shortly after I bought it, and so I discontinued with that language. I was also turned down, by the fact it costs, and so do alot of other tools, unlike Python, where alot of it, is all under the GPL liscene. However, I do have the money to head on into Blitz3D, but do not know if it will be worth it. I do not plan on going into the industry, in fact I plan on making a career out of the military. Again, I really did enjoy the Blitz language, and it does have a great community and support, but don't want to invest into something, that will put me off worse.
Advertisement
Let me put it to you this way: this years 4e4 winner used GameMaker.
You are young and still have a long time before you even come close to entering the industry. At least 8 more years. So why not start simple, and start with results? No point in trying to master OpenGL or DirectX now, especially since most of the math (no offense) will be over your head.

Learning good code design (in this case, game loops, etc) is an extremely important thing to do: and something you will definitely get from Blitz. Plus, you will get results, unlike most kids your age trying to program C, C++, and Java.

Good luck.
He clearly said he didn't want to get into the games industry.
If I were you I'd continue with Python. But it really depends on you. If you would like to change and go onto Blitz3d then do so. Some languages are worse than others in some things, but better in others. If you can, go give it a try. If you don't like it, stop it and continue with python.

P.S.

Quote:
Plus, you will get results, unlike most kids your age trying to program C, C++, and Java.

So... You're saying that since I'm 13 and learning C++ I'm not going to get results, but am only trying to? I disagree bigtime. I love the C++ language. I can barely get away from it. Especially now that I got up to classes and pointers.
Having been 13 at one point in my life, and trying to learn OpenGL and DirectX, yes, I would argue you won't get nearly as far as anyone using Blitz at your age. They, quite simply, will be able to produce results faster. I don't care how advanced you are: mastering C++ and a 3d API takes several years. How long have you been programming? Quite simply, Blitz will be easier and faster to pick up. Plus, kids your age have not learned the math behind the 3d APIs. I am not saying you can't learn it, but that will take several more years. So, by the time you write something in OpenGL equivalent to his Blitz application, you will probably be around 16.

At 13, I didn't listen to my own advice. I went full steam ahead with C and C++, and while it has taken me longer (especially self-taught), I don't regret it at all. I am not trying to say you shouldn't learn C or C++ or Java, but if you wan't immediate results, these are not the languages to use.

Anyway, sorry for my misread, but it doesn't change my answer. Infact, it makes me lean towards my answer more: you are doing it to enjoy a hobby -- and you definitely wan't to see results. Blitz all the way.
Quote:Original post by visage
Having been 13 at one point in my life, and trying to learn OpenGL and DirectX, yes, I would argue you won't get nearly as far as anyone using Blitz at your age. They, quite simply, will be able to produce results faster. I don't care how advanced you are: mastering C++ and a 3d API takes several years. How long have you been programming? Quite simply, Blitz will be easier and faster to pick up. Plus, kids your age have not learned the math behind the 3d APIs. I am not saying you can't learn it, but that will take several more years. So, by the time you write something in OpenGL equivalent to his Blitz application, you will probably be around 16.

At 13, I didn't listen to my own advice. I went full steam ahead with C and C++, and while it has taken me longer (especially self-taught), I don't regret it at all. I am not trying to say you shouldn't learn C or C++ or Java, but if you wan't immediate results, these are not the languages to use.

Anyway, sorry for my misread, but it doesn't change my answer. Infact, it makes me lean towards my answer more: you are doing it to enjoy a hobby -- and you definitely wan't to see results. Blitz all the way.

If you say it that way, yes, 3d math stuff for opengl (I havent eve touched directx or direct3d) is very confusing.

I've been programming for around a year... Maybe a month or 2 more.
Wow! Thanks for the fast replies!

So... You're saying that since I'm 13 and learning C++ I'm not going to get results, but am only trying to?

Don't really understand that. What I was saying, was that I prefered the more BASIC styled languages, such as Python and the Blitz languages, which are much easier to understand. I have to agree with Visage, I'm in geometry, and I thought that I'd be capable of learning C++. Apparently I was wrong, although I wasn't able to hit the more graphical portions of C++, I knew that with more math experience on my belt, I'd be able to problem solve a whole lot better, and be much better in programming in general.

And yes, programming is more of a hobby to me, I honestly don't plan on making a career of it, and so I'd much rather get results, than experience with C# of C++ that would get me further in College and the industry.
Quote:Original post by Rouge_Raven
Wow! Thanks for the fast replies!

So... You're saying that since I'm 13 and learning C++ I'm not going to get results, but am only trying to?

Don't really understand that. What I was saying, was that I prefered the more BASIC styled languages, such as Python and the Blitz languages, which are much easier to understand. I have to agree with Visage, I'm in geometry, and I thought that I'd be capable of learning C++. Apparently I was wrong, although I wasn't able to hit the more graphical portions of C++, I knew that with more math experience on my belt, I'd be able to problem solve a whole lot better, and be much better in programming in general.

And yes, programming is more of a hobby to me, I honestly don't plan on making a career of it, and so I'd much rather get results, than experience with C# of C++ that would get me further in College and the industry.

I was talking to visage in that...

Anyways, I'm not saying "OMG!!!! YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN C++!!!!!!". I'm just saying that it is possible to get results with C++ in the same age, if that's what you want...

P.S. the quote tags are lower case, not capitalized.
I don't see how math plays any role in this. The same math he'd need to use OGL or D3D, he'd also need to know in Blitz. Unless Blitz has added some math library, but to counter that there's D3DX and a bunch of free math/physics libraries out there. Considering the popularity of Python there must be something.

If you already know python I fail to see why you should switch. Blitz probably does produce some results faster, but I think for a large scale project the amount of coding is still relatively the same. It doesn't matter what language you use, you still need to know how to produce the proper game logic/concepts.

Edit: WTF? Isn't this about Python and Blitz? Since when did C++ come into the equation?
Quote:Original post by Scet
I don't see how math plays any role in this. The same math he'd need to use OGL or D3D, he'd also need to know in Blitz. Unless Blitz has added some math library, but to counter that there's D3DX and a bunch of free math/physics libraries out there. Considering the popularity of Python there must be something.

If you already know python I fail to see why you should switch. Blitz probably does produce some results faster, but I think for a large scale project the amount of coding is still relatively the same. It doesn't matter what language you use, you still need to know how to produce the proper game logic/concepts.

Edit: WTF? Isn't this about Python and Blitz? Since when did C++ come into the equation?

Hahaha... Visage's post.

C++ seems to come in from everywhere. Be it about C++ or something else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement