Python vs. Blitz

Started by
13 comments, last by HopeDagger 18 years, 4 months ago
Try reading his third sentence, you vultures. The only point I am trying to make is that if he is interested in results, he will get them much faster with a language specifically design for making games. C++, Java, and even python are languages designed with versatility in mind, and therefore contain a lot of bulk to be learned, not necessarily directly applicable to games. He is doing this as a hobby.

Though, if you like python, pygame might be worth looking into -- people get great results from it, blus you get the strength of python to boot.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by visage
Try reading his third sentence, you vultures. The only point I am trying to make is that if he is interested in results, he will get them much faster with a language specifically design for making games. C++, Java, and even python are languages designed with versatility in mind, and therefore contain a lot of bulk to be learned, not necessarily directly applicable to games. He is doing this as a hobby.

Though, if you like python, pygame might be worth looking into -- people get great results from it, blus you get the strength of python to boot.

He said C - based languages. The other poster asked about C++ specifically!
Stick with Python. You've already learned it, so you might as well not spend more time learning Blitz.

As for 13 and shouldn't program c++, I've been learning c++ since I was 13. I'm now 14 and have made three games with it. While they haven't been 3D yet, I will begin OpenGL in a couple months or so. And the math hasn't been over my head at all yet. However, knowing trig will pay off for alot of games. If you're not planning to go into an industry that requires programming, don't bother learning c++ or whatver. Python will get you better results faster.

The 4e4 contest winner used Game Maker?? No way! BTW: I personally don't like Game Maker. All of its games get this odd sticky feeling. (Please don't ask. If you know what I'm talking about, you'll understand)
I would stick with python and try panda3d. If I really wanted to spend money, I would get the Torque engine, but I don't so I'm playing around with Panda3d right now.
Quote:Original post by Rouge_Raven
Hullo,

I'm 13 years old, and am working on a first person shooter. I've been using Python, and have been progessing fairly well. I like how it's much easier to comprehend, when in comparison to the C variant languages, or even Java. Just a few days ago, I saw a project being made in Blitz3D, a MMORPG. http://afelhem.com/ . I was to say the least, surprised. I was under the impression that any of the Blitz languages, DarkBasic, and other similar "gameing languages" would not get you anywhere.

Be careful. Anyone can 'work on' an MMORPG project; it's the few that 'complete' an MMORPG project that you should look the closest at. ;) And when you do, I think you'll find that the language doesn't really matter. A successful MMORPG can be made in C++, Java, Python, C#, Assembly, or Visual Basic, or anything else. What matters is making the game. So don't get hung up on the language. Nearly every quasi-modern programming language has 3D API bindings (be it OGL or DX), so your FPS game could be written in pretty much any language. Just pick the programming language that you feel the most comfortable with, and make your game a reality. Trust me on this; I've wasted too much of my own time in the past worrying over what programming language I used. Just pick the one that you feel the best with. :)

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement