Game Interface

Started by
8 comments, last by Beaverbutt8 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys Does anyone know how to make a game "interface" with OpenGL. As most of you probably know already, i'm working on a fantasy rpg "Zalador". Anyway, is there any way to show an interface like this on the screen, which shows your hitpoints, mana points, etc. And have those little buttons that you click on the view your inventory, stats or help? Here's a crude example of what i am trying to make huhem9.jpg Pretty much, i need to learn : Game interface collision detection .3ds model loading sound(not so important) .3ds skeletal animation Thanks :) Mike
Advertisement
anyone!?!
Patience.

Generally, you find a library written by someone else and use that. Specify text, images for buttons, callback functions....

Otherwise you will develop your own UI library like hundreds before you to draw text, images for buttons, callback functions...
You can pretty easily write your own, like Telastyn said. It shouldn't be too difficult if you've got a good grasp on OOP and whatever graphics library you're using.

By the way, this forum doesn't use BBCode. When posting images in the future, just use plain HTML.
Ok, so how would i start writing my own?
By loading a test image and displaying it to the screen.
ok, please dont kill me :P ..... how?
Quote:Game interface

CEGUI

Quote:collision detection

Newton

Quote:.3ds model loading

LIB3DS

Quote:sound(not so important)

FMOD

If I was you I'd go with a game engine that handles all of this for you, but if you're intent on using OpenGL then use the links above.

Remember, google is your friend.
Quote:Original post by Beaverbutt8
ok, please dont kill me :P ..... how?

I don't know for OGL. It's not exactly trivial, even with help.
The Drunken Hyena tutorials show how to do this with DirectX.
When i try to download the newton system, i get an error 404

And i'm using C++, so what do i do with those C source files in lib3ds?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement