Sign in to follow this  
Coolprogram

what is?

Coolprogram    127
What is DirectX, and what is OpenGL? I have DirectX9.0 on my computer but i don't know what it is or anything. can somone help me with this? and do you need any sort of coding for it? Thanks, -Coolprogram

vrok137    241
Directx and opengl are both graphics programming API's. Considering you are asking what these two are, I assume you do not have the actual SDK; just the runtime enviroment. In order to program with directx, you need to download the SDK from Microsoft. In order to program in Opengl, you need to get the nessecary header files and librarys (go to google and type 'opengl'). After that, combine it with VC++ 2005. Now you are ready to get coding [wink].

Be forewarned though, Directx and Opengl are not easy to learn. I have been learning C++ for 3 years and still feel I need to brush up on my skills before moving on to directx/opengl. In order to completly understand these 2 API's, basic knowledge of Win32 programming is neseccary as well.

zubair_khan    127
DirectX and OpenGL are both software with which you can do primitive drawing on your computer screen. Basically, they interact with the hardware, so that you can achieve great results with little bit of code (in comparison to the amount of code it would take you when interacting directly with the hardware.)

-Zubair-

Stani R    1070
In fact they're easy to learn, but hard to master (or even apply effectively without finding out how others do it and what works). OpenGL is in my humble opinion the easier of the two, but that is purely subjective.

There's no real requirement for VC++ 2005 though, nor even for C++. Any programming language that has bindings for either API can be used.