What do u need?

Started by
11 comments, last by Stani R 18 years, 4 months ago
What do you needto msake a game beside c++? I need to know this so can somone help me out?
Advertisement
You need the following things:
-> Game Engine
-> 3D Model Editor
-> Sound Editor
-> Image Editor

Quote:Original post by zubair_khan
You need the following things:
-> Game Engine
-> 3D Model Editor
-> Sound Editor
-> Image Editor

I crossed out everything you don't need to make a game.

Beginners are usually best off starting small with text-based games and simple 2D games. Small games like these do not need a game "engine". They don't need sound or images either (Pong is just lines and circles rendered on-screen).

Some possible text-based games you can start off with: Guess the Number, Towers of Hanoi (with ASCII art), Tic-Tac-Toe (ASCII art) , a simple text-based RPG
Some simple 2D games: Pong, Snake, Tetris, Asteroids

When you get into the 2D games a library called SDL will come in handy. It takes care of setting up a window and input (and sound if you'd like) so you don't have to write a lot of Windows API code. You can also use OpenGL through SDL, so if you get into 3D games you don't have to write all the extra code and you can still use a familiar input and sound interface. You should learn the Windows API eventually, but it's not necessary and often confusing when you're first starting out.
Ra
You forgot to cross out c++ :D

In fact the only things you probably really need are creativity, problem solving skills, and perseverance.
I am a beginner yes, but i know C++. I just need to know what i need to make a game. And how to make it. I don't know how to start it off and stuff. I am just a beginner at making ghames nver done it b4.
Thanks,
-Coolprogram
First you need to understand the basics of how any game works:

Setup everything

Start game loop
{
Process inputs
Think
Update outputs
}

Destroy and cleaup everything

That will pritty much apply to any game. After you understand that then you need a way to display the ouputs. Some suggestions are GDI, opengl, directx, or one of a popular wrappers for any of these. I suggest you start with gdi and make a very simple 2d game. As you go try to write re-usable code such as creating a window or loading a model, when you have enough re-usable bits, go big....
First you need to understand the basics of how any game works:

Setup everything

Start game loop
{
Process inputs
Think
Update outputs
}

Destroy and cleaup everything

That will pritty much apply to any game. After you understand that then you need a way to display the ouputs. Some suggestions are GDI, opengl, directx, or one of a popular wrappers for any of these. I suggest you start with gdi and make a very simple 2d game. As you go try to write re-usable code such as creating a window or loading a model, when you have enough re-usable bits, go big....
There's no magic involved. A game is basically one big while() loop that collects input from the user, does some internal calculations, and renders stuff to the screen using some underlying api. Of course it's a bit more complicated than that, but essentially this structure applies. Well, what honayboyz wrote below (above, now) while I was coming up with something to say, basically.

You still need to come up with an idea at the very least to make a game (even if it's just something like "I want to clone PacMan"). You need creativity to make it interesting, and you need problem solving and perserverance because you _will_ run into some (probably architectural or algorithm) problems eventually *grin* and you don't want to give up because you're stuck. The standard advice on gd.net and elsewhere is always: start small, work your way up.
Okay i have another question. How would i make an mmog? That's another thing that i will need to know then i will be set and hopefully start learning to make a game.
IF i was you I would edit that fast. They dont take that talk lightly here..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement