• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KnightBlade

Master C++

This topic is 4896 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by _nomad_
^ is HTML really a "programming" language?

i don't think so.

is it?

No. That's the point/why asking for that requirement is bad, and why it's in quotes.

Advertisement
Heh... C++ is a quite complex language. Knowing how to code C++ is part of becoming a C++ "Master." The other part is knowing exactly what it's doing... If you have some code where you use all aspects of the language and can explain almost what all of it does inside the computer, you're on your way. For example, you know that templates can take any kind of type, but what actually do they do? They create code copies for each type for you, instead of you coding it all yourself. It's the millions (exagerated) of minor things like that that will make you more professional. I don't know if there's any standard for a "Master," but coding some cool stuff is usually good enough proof for most people.

Quote:
Original post by dbzprogrammer
For example, you know that templates can take any kind of type, but what actually do they do?

With my last program the question is usually a different one. It's using specialized versions of derived templates, which always feels like I'm just doing it because it's cool. What for? Creating popups, edit windows, handle drag/drop exchange of items/skills/penalties in an RPG tool. They have nothing in common, no common base class, but consistent use of add/remove/whatever function names.

And everytime I look at it and think "god, that's awful coding, let's do it 'right' with polymorphism and 'clean' oo". And every single time it takes about 15min to arrive at the point where I go "ooooh, damn, that won't work... right, THAT was why I used templates in the first place". Short: lousy memory is not helping with that whole mastering C++ thingy. In a job interview I would fail miserably because I couldn't even start to articulate the thoughts and more complex issues leading me to use them. How, if I tend to forget them myself all the time?

Personal rule of thumb: as long as you ask yourself "how do I do that" you're far from being good. When you start asking "what might be the best way to do it in this case" you're starting to get there. Also, if your most frequently asked question is "what's the C++ command to do X", don't apply for any programming jobs.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!