Putting data into arrays?

Started by
13 comments, last by izzo 18 years, 4 months ago
Ok, I'm trying to accomplish animation in SDL, and I need to load a bunch of images into an array. How do I do that? Here's what I'm doing so far:
SDL_Surface *player_imgs[7];
player_imgs[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp");
This gives me these errors:
--------------------Configuration: SDL DrawImage test - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
main.cpp
C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(20) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(20) : error C2234: '<Unknown>' : arrays of references are illegal
C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(20) : error C2501: 'player_imgs' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(20) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'struct SDL_Surface *' to 'int *[]'
        There are no conversions to array types, although there are conversions to references or pointers to arrays
C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(93) : warning C4018: '>' : signed/unsigned mismatch
Error executing cl.exe.

SDL DrawImage test.exe - 4 error(s), 1 warning(s)

What's wrong? :S
_______________________Afr0Games
Advertisement
If I had to guess, I'd say that the error actually occurs before the line where you define the player_imgs array, and the error propogation just made it seem like the error is on that line. Try posting a more complete source dump.
I think that you have to use the "new" keyword to create the objects. I'm not familiar with SDL, but it may be something like:

player_imgs[0] = new SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp");
Quote:Original post by TyroWorks
I think that you have to use the "new" keyword to create the objects. I'm not familiar with SDL, but it may be something like:

player_imgs[0] = new SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp");

The documentation counters with:
Quote:SDL_LoadBMP
Return Value
Returns the new surface, or NULL if there was an error.

jfl.
How about this to create the array of objects:

player_imgs = new SDL_Surface *[7];

See this thread:
LINK
yea in SDL you can use the keyword new.

i havnt exactly tried doing animations yet but

ik beleive that sprites have to places into a rect because they need to be clipped and such

try

SDL_Rect animation[4];

then just do

animation[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("image.bmp");
animation[1] = SDL_LoadBMP("image2.bmp");
ect..

and im sure you know blitting

//edit

here look at this it may help

http://lazyfooproductions.com/SDL_tutorials/lesson06/index.php
Quote:Original post by willthiswork89
yea in SDL you can use the keyword new.

i havnt exactly tried doing animations yet but

ik beleive that sprites have to places into a rect because they need to be clipped and such

try

SDL_Rect animation[4];

then just do

animation[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("image.bmp");
animation[1] = SDL_LoadBMP("image2.bmp");
ect..

and im sure you know blitting

//edit

here look at this it may help

http://lazyfooproductions.com/SDL_tutorials/lesson06/index.php

nope, they should be SDL_Surface pointers.
SDL handles Clipping itself.

SiCrane is probably right, it is more likely an error on the line before it thats confusing the compiler.
I suspect you're actually trying to make the assignment at global scope rather than in a function. Variable definitions and variable definitions with assignment are legal at global scope. Assignments are not.
SDL_Surface *player_imgs1[7]; // OK, variable definitionSDL_Surface *player_imgs2[7] = {SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp")}; // OK, variable definition with initialisationplayer_imgs1[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp"); // ERROR, attempted assignment at global scopevoid function(){	player_imgs1[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp"); // OK, assignment within a function}

Enigma
Ok tahnks guys! Sorry for bieng so slow to rsepond, but I'm a little drunk.

None of your tips has wokrked out so far, but TyroWorks' tip decreases the number of errors to 3 in all;

--------------------Configuration: SDL DrawImage test - Win32 Debug--------------------Compiling...main.cppC:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(21) : error C2501: 'player_imgs' : missing storage-class or type specifiersC:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(21) : error C2371: 'player_imgs' : redefinition; different basic types        C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(19) : see declaration of 'player_imgs'C:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(21) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'struct SDL_Surface ** ' to 'int'        This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style castC:\Programs\C++\SDL\SDL DrawImage test\main.cpp(94) : warning C4018: '>' : signed/unsigned mismatchError executing cl.exe.SDL DrawImage test.exe - 3 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Here's the whole code.. I don't think there's anything wrong on the line above:

#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <SDL.h>#include <windows.h>#include "SDLWrapper_Memory.h"#include "list.h"SDL_Surface *back;SDL_Surface *image;SDL_Surface *screen;SDL_Event event;linkedList *EnemyList;int timer;//These are used to animate the playership.int frame_timer = SDL_GetTicks();int frame_count = 0;SDL_Surface player_imgs;//player_imgs[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp");player_imgs = new SDL_Surface *[7];BITFIELD_CREATE(KeyboardDown, SDLK_LAST);void DrawImage(SDL_Surface *img, int x, int y){  SDL_Rect dest;  dest.x = x;  dest.y = y;  SDL_BlitSurface(img, NULL, screen, &dest);}bool KeyDown(uint32 uiAscii){	return (BITFIELD_GET(KeyboardDown, uiAscii) != 0);}///////////////////////////// GAME STRUCTS ///////////////////////////////////////typedef struct _PLAYER{	int ypos;	int xpos;	SDL_Surface *img;} player; typedef struct _ENEMY{	int ypos;	int xpos;	SDL_Surface *img;} enemy;////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////player p;linkedList *list;int main(int argc, char *argv[]){	if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO|SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0)	{		printf("Unable to init SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError());		exit(1);	}	screen=SDL_SetVideoMode(640,480,32,SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_DOUBLEBUF);	if ( screen == NULL )	{		printf("Unable to set 640x480 video: %s\n", SDL_GetError());		exit(1);	}	int done=0;	p.img = SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/plyshp01a.bmp");	p.xpos = 250;	p.ypos = 200;	while(done == 0)	{ 		while (SDL_PollEvent(&event))		{			if (event.type == SDL_QUIT)  {done = 1;}			if (event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN)			{				BITFIELD_SET( KeyboardDown, event.key.keysym.sym);			}			if (event.type == SDL_KEYUP)			{				BITFIELD_RESET( KeyboardDown, event.key.keysym.sym);			}		}		//This shit right here enables us to generate enemies every half second.		if(timeGetTime() > timer + 500)		{			timer = timeGetTime();			listNode *enemy;		}				if(KeyDown(SDLK_ESCAPE))		{			done = 1;		}				if(KeyDown(SDLK_UP))		{			if(p.ypos > 0)			{				p.ypos = p.ypos - 2;			}		}		if(KeyDown(SDLK_DOWN))		{			if(p.ypos < 426)			{				p.ypos = p.ypos + 2;			}					}		if(KeyDown(SDLK_LEFT))		{			if(p.xpos > 0)			{				p.xpos = p.xpos - 2;			}		}		if(KeyDown(SDLK_RIGHT))		{			if(p.xpos < 576)			{				p.xpos = p.xpos + 2;			}		}				SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, SDL_MapRGB(screen -> format, 0, 0, 0));		DrawImage(p.img, p.xpos, p.ypos);		SDL_Flip(screen);    }	return 0;}
_______________________Afr0Games
Replace
SDL_Surface player_imgs;//player_imgs[0] = SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp");player_imgs = new SDL_Surface *[7];

with
SDL_Surface * player_imgs[7] = {SDL_LoadBMP("Graphics/Ships/Player/anim/pl_left01.bmp")};

Assignments are only legal at global scope when they are part of a variable definition with initialisation.

Enigma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement