• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telastyn

[C#] Delegate adaptors and/or parameter binding

This topic is 4592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently picked up a book on C#, after being capable with C-style languages [C,C++], scripting languages [perl, unix shell], but not functional or Java style languages. One of the neat things with the language is the first rate citizenship of delegates and events. One thing I noticed though that was missing was adapters for them. Coming from C++, I am used to boost::function/bind to be able to adapt functions into certain signatures in a nice generic fashion. In C#, I haven't yet found a nice simple way to do something like this:
class foo{
    public delegate void  foo_d();
    public event    foo_d bar;
    public void     trigger(){bar();}
}

class echo_str{
    public static void     echo(string str){
         Console.WriteLine("{0}",str);
    }
}

class Program{
    static void Main(string[] args){
        foo    eventfoo=new foo();

// Adapt the void(string) to fit into a void()
        eventfoo.bar+=bind(echo_str.echo,"moo.");
        eventfoo.trigger();
    }
}

So, am I just not searching well? Did I miss something that makes this easy? [CreateDelegate doesn't do more than instance binding. Some of the reflection stuff sort of works, but someone already tried that, slowly] Do I just need to wait for someone to do it? Am I missing a good reason I should never have to do this? The lack of operator() overloading, template black magic, and typed templates [template <int> class...] makes the usual methods... difficult.

Advertisement
I'd use an anonymous delegate (2.0 only):

class foo{
public delegate void foo_d();
public event foo_d bar;
public void trigger(){bar();}
}

class echo_str{
public static void echo(string str){
Console.WriteLine("{0}",str);
}
}

class Program{
static void Main(string[] args){
foo eventfoo=new foo();

// anonymous delegate here:
eventfoo.bar+= delegate{ echo_str.echo("moo."); };
eventfoo.trigger();
}
}

hrm. Yes, that does seem to be the little tidbit that would allow that use. If I used lamdbas more [or if this book spent more than a page on them] that would've been more evident.

Thanks a ton!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!