Sign in to follow this  
31337noob

what does this mean

31337noob    101
standard deviation Σ− −=102)(ninixμ all i know is that μ = the sum this is in my java homework and i need to know what each thing in that formula represents.

frob    44916
Quote:
Original post by 31337noob
standard deviation
Σ− −=102)(ninixμ

all i know is that μ = the sum

this is in my java homework and i need to know what each thing in that formula represents.

First: Go talk to your teacher. Your teacher is assuming that you know it. If you don't know it, your teacher may adjust the class material to something you can understand, help you understand it, or give you other advice. Standard deviation is something you should have picked up in a HS or middle-school math class, and use extensivly in a college statistics class.

It is a statistics function. Used along with the mean, median, and mode, you can tell an awful lot about a set of numbers. The standard deviation basically tells you how far apart the values are spread.

Computing it isn't too hard, but you have to find a few other values first. Assuming you are comfortable with the math, Wikipedia has a good article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Again, go talk with your teacher and work out what you don't know. That's why you pay them.

frob.

31337noob    101
just to let you know, i have never seen that before and i am in college and i am also in precalc 2.

i guess i can email my friend that is in that class and if he doesnt know then i will email the teacher.

frob    44916
Quote:
Original post by 31337noob
just to let you know, i have never seen that before and i am in college and i am also in precalc 2.

i guess i can email my friend that is in that class and if he doesnt know then i will email the teacher.

I'm still not sure what the original formula you posted was, and I can't help you with your variables.

The standard deviation itself is straightforward.

Where the set x is your collection of values, N is the number of values, and x-bar is the arithmetic mean (sum divided by N). It's all standard notation.

frob.