Sign in to follow this  
jperalta

Finding a point

jperalta    356
Say I have a coordinate in long/lat, f.e. N042.56.00.698 W071.26.15.763, and I want to know what the point 1 mile from that point at a bearing of 353 degrees is, how would I figure this out? I'm trying to make a map for a program that takes two points and makes a line out of them.

hplus0603    11347
Welcome to hell!

That coordinate, by itself, is not actually enough to know where on earth you are. You have to also know which specific long/lat coordinate system it is. Most popular these days are WGF 84, but there are several (including several country- and state-specific registrations!)

What I would do is probably to convert to geocentric coordinates (where X == greenwich, Z == virtual north pole, and Y == somewhere in Asia). Then do the transformation on the coordinate, and then convert back.

You can google for "geodetic coordinate systems" if you want better descriptions of how this works. Or check out projects such as SEDRIS (a terrain data interchange format; comes with some conversion libraries) or the SPC tool (for US-specific locations).