Live CD with good Partition Program (with GUI)

Started by
7 comments, last by ravyne2001 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows. But I don't have a DVD burner/external HD. So I want to install Windows on a second partition and transfer my data over and wipe the first partition. But I hear Windows isn't very safe at partitioning. So I'm looking for a live CD with a graphical partitioning tool which allows creating/resizing partitions without wiping them.
Advertisement
You can try to find a copy of Partition Magic.
If your windows system is stable, close EVERYTHING that isn't needed (using taskman)
and then run PM. It can do what you want as long as it has enough free room on the disk to move the files arround, but it can take a really long time.
I think Partition Magic and Partition Commander both do that.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I'm trying to avoid using Partition Magic... I know someone who had trouble with it on NTFS
If you're planning to repartition without backing up, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I'm just optimistic to trust in tried and proven Unix partitioning software... and as I said, I don't have a DVD burner or second HD to back up to. You can say I'm desperate enough to trust some partitioning software...
I always use SystemRescueCD it's Linux based but extremely powerful (and yes it supports NTFS, I use it rather often to resize my NTFS partitions)
Looks good! Thanks.
Won't know for sure until Monday when I get to high speed internet.
And that TortiseCVS looks good... May be my first CVS.
Quote:Original post by cozman
I always use SystemRescueCD it's Linux based but extremely powerful (and yes it supports NTFS, I use it rather often to resize my NTFS partitions)

I used this last week to resize an NTFS partition. Not to discourage its use, because I've heard many people recomend it for NTFS work, but in my case it borked my drive entirely due to errors in the current filesystem. I was resizing a current NTFS partition. If you use this software its probably a good idea to use the windows tools to scan and repair errors first, and of course: ALWAYS BACK UP FIRST! Backing up saved my ass, these partitioning programs are not bullet-proof.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement