Sign in to follow this  
JimPrice

[web] Apache + wireless router

Hey, I've just installed a linksys wireless router (and wasn't that fun) to my main PC, and in the process have removed access to the apache server I have for local PHP development. Normally I get there using localhost or 127.0.0.1, but this no longer works. So, a quick google later, it looks like I need to set up port forwarding. I set up port 80 in the router section, where it lets me set up an IP address to forward to. Now my PC IP address (provided by my ISP) is one number, and the only forwarding addresses I'm allowed to set in the router panel are 192.168.1.something. At this point, I'm getting lost, and google is no longer my friend :( Let's face it, I'm just not understanding something, and not sure how to proceed from here. Do I need to change the IP address of my PC (and if so, how?). Do I need to adjust my httpd.conf file? Do I need to sacrifice a chicken to the voodoo gods? Or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance, Jim.

If it's on the local computer and you can't access it at 127.0.0.1, no amount of port forwarding will fix it. Something else is wrong, probably with the Apache configuration (binding to a different IP?)

Also, the IP your ISP gives you is the external (WAN) IP, the one assigned to whatever's connected to the modem. If your computer's connected to the router it'll have an internal (LAN) IP, one on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet for your particular router.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

If it's on the local computer and you can't access it at 127.0.0.1, no amount of port forwarding will fix it. Something else is wrong, probably with the Apache configuration (binding to a different IP?)

yup, that is just an internal loop-back address that allows for testing. This should always work, since it is run by the operating system itself. No data is ever sent out of a network card or received through one. I would just try a fresh install of apache to resolve the problem. At least for the loop address back problem.