c++... and then what?

Started by
5 comments, last by Roboguy 18 years, 4 months ago
I know enough c++ to make simple programs. I learned some SDL, but I'm starting to see people saying that maybe SDL is a waste of time and you should just jump right into Win32. My problem is: isn't Win32 only for windows? Most programs are for windows, but most of them also run on other OS's as well. So if SDL is a waste of time and Win32 only works for windows what do I learn after c++ to start making some actual programs? For my first program I just want to make a simple tool that can scan some files (cookies and history files in particular) and permently delete them. I want to have an interface, so I need some sort of API. After I get used to programming I want to move on to some more advanced programs, and then eventually into games. So I just want to know how I should go about this. Should I learn SDL, Win32, DirectX, OpenGL or ?? Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Learn Win32 if you want to make windows apps, learn dx, opengl, and or sdl if you want to make games. I would say dont even learn win32, just learn .net!

Hope that helps
DONT LET THEM DISCRIMINATE! BRING BACK THE BLACK!
If you want to keep your program cross-platform compatible, then look into one of the cross-platform GUI libraries (eg, wxWindows, FLTK, the Fox Toolkit, etc).

If you want to write cross-platform games, stick with SDL.

If you want to write windows-only things (games or non-games, but particularly non-games), start learning C# and .NET.

Obviously those aren't your only options - there are plenty of other combinations of things you could try, and some may be better for you depending on other factors, but I think that the three options above are all reasonably good routes to go down.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Quote:I know enough c++ to make simple programs. I learned some SDL, but I'm starting to see people saying that maybe SDL is a waste of time and you should just jump right into Win32.

I would question the technical knowledgeability of someone who proposed the Windows API as an alternative to SDL. Win32 is not some milestone on the path to being an uber-programmer; it's just another API. There are some cases where you need to work with it directly, but there are alternatives that are much better suited for different applications. Learn it if you want, at least so you can appreciate some of the other alternatives.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
"but most of them also run on other OS's as well"

The vast majority of programs that run on windows run only on windows. There are lots of non windows programs out there, but they are embedded in devices, like cars. Then there are all of those linux open source programs, but then again, don't run on windows. For the desktop market windows dominates. Only the mega hits get ported because it is almost never cost effective to port a windows program to Mac, Linux, or whatever else. You just won't make the sales.
I would use Qt for windowing. It's open source. It runs on windows, linux and more. I find it much easier than MFC.
Quote:Original post by Glak
"but most of them also run on other OS's as well"

The vast majority of programs that run on windows run only on windows. There are lots of non windows programs out there, but they are embedded in devices, like cars. Then there are all of those linux open source programs, but then again, don't run on windows. For the desktop market windows dominates. Only the mega hits get ported because it is almost never cost effective to port a windows program to Mac, Linux, or whatever else. You just won't make the sales.

Unless you use libraries like SDL and OpenGL, then it requires little (if any) work to port.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement