I am sorry but....

Started by
6 comments, last by Stani R 18 years, 4 months ago
I like gamedev better than the gmg (the gmg is mean because they dislike this site), and I really really want to submit a game or two, but I don't think my parents would approve of me paying money to submit my games. Sorry... I would if I could, but unfortuanetaly, I can't.
Advertisement
gmg?
Quote:Original post by FlyingDemon
gmg?

gmg stands for gamemakergames.com
I don't think that somebody (most likely completely unrelated to these boards) taking the nick "GameDev" and spamming some forums on some (relatively-unknown?) site constitutes any kind of statement about Gamedev.net or local policy towards anything or anyone. I'll go out on a leg to speak for others here and say that in fact we don't "hate" anyone (in fact, I've never even heard of this "gmg" site before you mentioned it) or spam anywhere for any reason :-)

On another note, why would you have to pay money to submit games somewhere? That's some twisted business model imho.
Quote:Original post by Pookasnooks
I really really want to submit a game or two, but I don't think my parents would approve of me paying money to submit my games. Sorry... I would if I could, but unfortuanetaly, I can't.

You do not have to pay to get feedback on our game or let people try it out on GameDev. I assume you do not have your own web space, so what you can do is this:

1. Create a .ZIP of your game and all required files to run it. Note that the larger this is, the less people will be willing to download and try it out. I.e. if your game is 50MB...then you will not get that many takers that will download it. If it is smaller, less than 5mb about, then more people would be willing. Also, people are reluctant to install, so if you have to use an installer to play your game, once again less will be willing. Keep that in mind.

2. Upload your game to a free online file storage place and provide people with the link. An example would be SaveFile.

3. Create screen shots of your game if possible to give people an idea of what it looks like. You can then use ImageShack to upload those images, and you can use the links they provide you (use the thumbnail for websites) to put them into your thread.

4. Create a thread in the Your Announcements forum. Give a meaningful title. For the post itself you will want to have in there the link of the file, the links to the screenshots if possible, then any additional information, such as minimal requirements, what the game is about, why you made it, etc... Also if you want feedback, ask for it, or if you want testers, etc... People are not mind readers, so make sure you make everything clear and concise.

If you need any help along the way, it's avaliable!
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
On another note, why would you have to pay money to submit games somewhere? That's some twisted business model imho.

I believe he was referring to the GD Showcase; to submit games to it requires a GDNet+ subscriptions, which is understandable because your game will be taking up GameDev.net space.
Does this thread make NO sense to anyone else?
Quote:Original post by nilkn
Quote:Original post by lightbringer

I believe he was referring to the GD Showcase; to submit games to it requires a GDNet+ subscriptions, which is understandable because your game will be taking up GameDev.net space.

Heh thanks for at clearing that up. I was actually thinking it's about some kind of independent publisher.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement