Configuring TortoiseSVN to use ssh

Started by
1 comment, last by OrangyTang 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm trying to access an SVN repository over the web, but don't seem to be having much luck. The respository has been set up by someone else, and as far as I know it's all working ok. I've got a public/private key pair set up on the server so I can use ssh for all the connections. So far I've managed to get Eclipse's CVS plugin to talk to a CVS repository (over ssh, and using the key) so that looks fine. I can also use putty to ssh into it with my key too. However I can't seem to get to the SVN repository. I've tried with both subclipse (eclipse plugin) and TortoiseSVN with different errors on both. Using TortoiseSVN (and largely following this doc) I've got a saved putty session (which works). I'm then using the following in the repository browser: svn+ssh://username@puttysavedsession/path/to/root However rather than a connection I get three pop up errors with "Putty internal error: Invalid port number". Which is odd, as I've double checked the putty session and the port is on 22 (the default for ssh IIRC). Has anyone any ideas to fix this? Cheers. Once again, cardboard programming almost works - for some reason you have to not give TortoiseSVN a path to putty, as it seems to magically find it itself (and do a better job of it). However now both subclipse and TortoiseSVN give the same error: Berkley DB error while opening environment <repo path>. Permission denied. I suspect this may be a file permissions error on the server side, unless anyone else has any other suggestions?
Advertisement
I take it you can run svn fine locally on the server?

If not, forget getting it to work remotely over ssh.

A better option is usually to use https - it requires slightly more setup work (i.e. SSL certificate generated on server etc), but is easier on the client side.

I use https.

Mark
It's someone elses server (and setup), SVN is working fine at their end it seems. After getting some server log files (not exactly sure what) changed to rw I can log in with tortoise... breifly. Now I get the rather scary looking:
svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem /home/puppygames/svnroot/db:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

Which is all looking rather similar to this guy's problem. So I guess the server still isn't quite configured right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement