Sign in to follow this  

Where can I find a 'midi recorder'?

This topic is 4400 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I'm not mistaken, I think DirectMusic Producer could do that. I haven't downloaded the lastest DirectX SDK yet, so I don't know if XACT can do that, though I kind of doubt it can for some reason.

UPDATE: I was mistaken. I must have been thinking of Cakewalk. Also, believe it or not, the MSDN Platform SDK gives an outline of how to do this, and it doesn't look too hard to implement.

UPDATE 2: I was right the first time. DirectMusic Producer can do this, I had to reinstall it and play around with it to jog my memory.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

... a program that can recieve midi signals from my soundcard when a midi file is playing and turn them into a midi file?

That does not quite make sense. If you are already playing a MIDI file on your soundcard it is in fact playing a MIDI file. So you should already have a copy of the file.

If you want better sounds for the GM sounds, pick up a GM soundcard or external device that inputs a MIDI interface.

If you want to record the MIDI notes being played (usually one track at a time), pick up a sequencer.

As for audio to MIDI I know there are some solutions, but again it would have to be one track (sound) at a time to work.

Againa better decription is needed of what you are trying to do.

What I assume the OP means, is that he is playing a midi file on a midi device connected to his sound card's midi port, and wants his PC to capture it. DirectMusic Producer can capture midi data but it does not save .mid files. It saves only DirectMusic segment files. Cakewalk can also capture midi data, and it will save to .mid format. Though last I heard Cakewalk wasn't free, actually I don't think that particular product is even made anymore. It goes by some other name now. Check out http://www.cakewalk.com/ for relevant software. They may have a trial version of something that will work.

This topic is 4400 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.