Beginner needs book recommendations

Started by
18 comments, last by TheOther 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I have been programming for quite a while now. I am only 13, and I have been programming with game engines and languages based of C-Script and basic. I have also done some C++ and C programming before with 2d and text based applications. I started programming at 8, and I have already done basics with C, and I know minimal C++. I am also pretty good with Java. Programming with MySQL is no problem for me, and the same goes with PHP scripting. I just downloaded Visual C++ Toolkit and DirectSDK, so I would like to get started with programming real games and apps with the real deal development packages. I have already ordered the following books today for programming and 3d game development: 1) Multiplayer Game Programming with DirctX 2) Focus on 3d Models I have also read various books on the subject line for 2d and non-directX stuff. I am thinking of ordering the following books: 1) Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX 2) AI Game Engine Programming 3) 3D Game Engine Programming 4) Beginning C++ Game Programming I would like to know if the books I want to get are a good reference, and if there are any other books that you would recommend to me.
Advertisement
I was in a similar situation to yours. I knew java and some of C when I decided to learn C++. The very best book for switching to C++ from other languages is "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup. It goes over all of the features of C++ and gives you some info one what they are for, how they can be used together, and common pitfalls. This really is the very best book for learning C++ if you already have some programming experience.
Thanks for the recommendations. My library carries that book, so I will probably check that out as a basic foundation for C++. I am basicly done with the basics of the languages, I would like to start programming with DirectX soon too, since that is the way to go with programming for Windows and Windows based consoles.
I would say the only books someone would ever need to buy is maybe a book to help them start learning the basics of programming, to help push them in the right direction. If you know the basics then you shouldnt really need any books, google.com is all you need.
DONT LET THEM DISCRIMINATE! BRING BACK THE BLACK!
Heres my thoughts:

2) Focus on 3d Models

- Good, but Focus on 3D Models will only be helpful once you've learned DirectX. It teaches how to parse the various file formats, but you have to know how to display them.

--------------------------

3) 3D Game Engine Programming

- This is a very advanced book, and if you buy it now it may be years before you understand what the hell it is saying. It is a must own for professionals, but there are better books for a beginner.

4) Beginning C++ Game Programming

I'd suggest when learning C++ to learn it outside of the "games" reference. The books that teach general C++ are more thorough and spend more time making sure you understand the language.

My recommendation would be "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" by Jesse Liberty. Don't be fooled by the cheesy name (it's part of a series that is, for the most part, bad). This is the book I learned from, and every person I have recommended it to has come back and thanked me because it's a great book.

After you've learned the major language features, I'd recommend reading C++ Gotchas, which is a compilation of all of the obscure mistakes that beginners (and some experts) make when writing code. I've read this book over 5 times, and each time I leave it as a better programmer.

After that, theres a huge number of "learn DirectX books" that are fairly good". Just make sure whatever you use doesn't come with it's own wrapper (in other words, use one that actually teaches DirectX, not one that teaches some set of special functions that the author wrote on top of DirectX").

Hope this helps,

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Thank you so much for the help. I will check out some of those books. I really like the suggestion of the C++ Gotchas books, since I just looked them up and they do look like they would help me along the way.

Once I finish with learning C++, what do you think is a good book that will really give me insight to a broad overview of DirectX? I would really like a book that will go over each part of the DirectSDK and then show how to piece a game engine together and make a level editor and tools. A book that would go over each part and then have examples to work off of would really suit me.

Thank you so much for the recommendations this far.
just because of interest:
you said that you'd know math up to precalcus...you know that the precalcus covers themes like polar coordinates, matrices, polynomial functions(that's what we have in school atm and i'm 17) and complex numbers? Many stuff in game programming needs knowledge you'll never learn in school (ok i don't really know what you learn in the country where you come from but it surely won't suffice for physics stuff like: fluids, cloth, or advanced lightning techniques.). I hope you have some older siblings, or parents that know a lot about math...

i don't have any books to recommend because i'm german and i don't think a german book would help you...

good luck,
m4gnus
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
I'm from the United States. Yes, I do know most of those topics. I am pretty advanced when it comes to math and science. Also, math always does help with most areas, and what do you mean about that most of the stuff in game develpment is not learned in school?
well, the first thing I noticed, when my 7th grade teacher asked us who knew what functions were, I raised my hand, she said to demonstrate, I walked up to the board and wrote:

int main()
{
printf("Function Demo!");
return 0;
}
DONT LET THEM DISCRIMINATE! BRING BACK THE BLACK!
Yes, but you are talking about different subject lines. So does anyone have any idea of good DirectX books. Even if I do not understand 3d game engine programming, I will probably end up getting it soon for I will be doing a quick refresher course (that I make for myself) for C++. I'll just go over everything again and then do some basics with 2d, and I'll move right into DirectX. I will need a good C++ based book to work with.

I use Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, will that be compatible with most things? Microsoft says it is .NET just without the rest of the stuff on it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement