Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Miller

[SORRY] Drawing tablet reccomendations?

Daniel Miller    218
I'm looking for a mid-range drawing tablet. I remember seeing this asked before, but maybe things have changed since then. Do you guys have any recommendations? I don't need the absolute best. [Edited by - Daniel Miller on December 5, 2005 11:06:56 AM]

SiCrane    11839
I guess the recommendation depends on what you consider "mid-range" and what your budget is. Right now I think the best bang for your buck would be Graphire4 4x5 or 6x8.

Morkai1    122
In case you still haven't bought it, you can get a 9x12 Aiptek 12000U that's in your same price range. I think target.com has them in their online store.

I've got a Wacom Graphire 4x6, and can vouch for it. You can't draw as quickly as you might like (you won't get smooth lines if you try to sketch), but is very nice. The pressure works well, and the pen is easy to use. I'm not an amazing artist, but you can get some nice work (and it doesn't have to be comic style of course, but I had these online anyways).

Quote:
Original post by Wolfmanyoda
If you're a student you can get some good prices on wacom tablets at Academic Superstore.
Damn, that is a nice site. Our university has a deal with Hi-Ed, but no Wacom with them. Also, that site will be nice for me when I lose my current pen for good (I need to tether it to my foot or something).

Also, you don't know how much I want one of those Cintiq tablets... Even for video editing, it would make life so much easier, much less the ease of actually drawing!

Wolfmanyoda    530
Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Also, you don't know how much I want one of those Cintiq tablets...

I'd love to just try one out. I splurged and bought the Intuos3 6x8 from that site and never regretted it.

nvision    246
I just use a Graphire3 4x5, and you can get great results out of it...it all depends on what you put into it. I did this a while ago, just on the 4x5 pad, freehand...

SiCrane    11839
Quote:
Also, you don't know how much I want one of those Cintiq tablets... Even for video editing, it would make life so much easier, much less the ease of actually drawing!

I just went to the logical extreme and got a Tablet PC. It's nice.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Quote:

I just went to the logical extreme and got a Tablet PC. It's nice.

Well, Premiere might devour a tablet PC, but I have a friend who has one... and I'm jealous...

Usually everybody recommends WACOM.
I have a Genius MousePen 8x6 and it works fine.
It costed $80, while a WACOM falls into the $150-$300 category (I talk about good WACOMs). The 2 feels the same for me (I used both).

While you can have pen tips for cheap for WACOM, Genius policy is different, you have to buy the WHOLE pen for $25. It is not that big deal since the tip is still fine after 10 months, and I guess it will take app. 2 years to have it changed (I already bought a spare pen what I don't use).

So look around and decide. WACOMs are great, but expensive. There are others with some drawbacks here and there, but for painting they are great too.

Kazroth    122
I had a Genius myself. It surely was pretty nice to start with. I`ve been working with WACOM Intus and Graphire after that and they all do their job pretty good. I think a low budget tablet is far more then enough to work on simple stuff but I do have the feeling that scetching and digital coloring work better with a WACOM. But anyways I think that there is no way at all to replace simple pen and paper with a tablet when it comes to detailed and complex lineart ;)

Servet    138
I haven't seen a single soul who regrets buying a wacom. I use a intuos3 and wouldn't change it for a thing(well maybe a cintiq).

If you have a low budget, you can get a smaller sized wacom, or a graphire, graphires are good too i've heard, never used tho.

Yeah, WACOM devotees are everywhere... ;)
They appear at once when somebody questioning the supremacy of WACOM...

Actually it all depends on your budget. I only wanted to make the scene
less "WACOM-monochromatic"...

Subjective:
I have experience with an A4 WACOM (at my workplace) a WACOM Intuos (at my friend's) and my Genius MousePen 8x6. For me, all felt the same. Pressure sensitive, good for drawing and painting. All softwares (Photoshop 6, Photoshop 7, Corel Painter 8 demo) detected and used them well without problems.

Objective:
Name: WACOM Graphire 4 Classic
Size: 6x4 inches (App. A6)
Pressure: 512 levels
Resolution: 2000 lpi
Price: $150
Cost later: not-significant
Compatibility: Full

Name: Genius MousePen 8x6
Size: 8x6 inches (A5)
Pressure: 1024 levels
Resolution: 4064 lpi
Price: $85
Cost later: $25/binnual (pen), batteries (1 AAA for the pen)
Compatibility: Full

Opinion summarized:
In my opinion, you shouldn't pay for brand, but for facts. If you have $300 for the tablet: BUY WACOM (but a better one). You'll have great quality and reliability. I use the Genius for a year and it is reliable as well.
My theory was always that I don't pay only for brand, I use now the best from Genius, but if I'd ever wanted a better one, I'd go for a WACOM.

My first tablet was an AceCatIII from Trust. It WASN'T cordless and it WASN't
pressure-sensitive. I bought my Genius after I made my first $1500 with it.
When the Genius makes another $1500 I'll go for the BEST Wacom. Not until that.
I'll think it twice.

The WACOM devotees are right, not one soul regreted buying a WACOM, but actually I haven't heard anybody regreting any other brands. WACOM is great, but it has its price and you pay the half of the price not for the product but for the NAME.

So.... You decide. ;)

Sometimes it really seems when I was a teen and everybody argued about what 8 bit computer/console is better. It is quite childish I think. All has its merits and flaws.