Updated "Pierre and the Fish" in Showcase!

Started by
7 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 18 years, 4 months ago
A slightly improved version of "Pierre and the Fish", my "One Week One Button 2" competition entry, has been added to the GD Showcase for download. This is a short mini-game that I made over the course of five days, while teaching myself a whole bunch of programming in the process! I'd be grateful for any comments on the game, as the feedback I receive will go into making my next game even better. Thanks!
Advertisement
I havent tried the game yet but from what ive seen I like the art style alot. It seems intentionally lazy, but in a good way, and I like it.
--brb
Quote:Original post by ShoeStringGames
I havent tried the game yet but from what ive seen I like the art style alot. It seems intentionally lazy, but in a good way, and I like it.

"Intentionally lazy" is a good way to put it [smile]. I find that with a bit of effort I can draw decent cartoons, but proper artwork is still beyond my capabilities. So for the competition, I thought that a hand-drawn style like that would be the best way to get something that looks good using my limited drawing ability.

I think it actually works quite well as a style. It's interesting to see that the other first-placed game of the 1W1B competition, "Eat", also managed to use programmer art as an amazingly effective drawing style. I guess the trick is to be consistent.
Now that ive gotten the video card on this beast working I went to try the game:

Error with FMOD! (48) Error initializing output device.

How can I get around this problem so I can play?
--brb
Now that ive gotten the video card on this beast working I went to try the game:

Error with FMOD! (48) Error initializing output device.

How can I get around this problem so I can play?

I'm not sure exactly what could be the problem there. FMOD is the sound library, so I assume your sound card and drivers are okay? The sound code was thrown in pretty quickly, so I'm not sure off the top of my head what would be going wrong there. Reading through the code I'm pretty sure I just threw in some sample code from the FMOD examples; I haven't yet fully understood what I was doing there [embarrass].
As for the art, I actually REALLY like the whole hand-drawn cartoonish style. It reminds me a bit of an old really obscure game for SNES, Pink Panther goes to Hollywood :) lol. I also love the fish's facial expression... I have a friend who looks a bit like that (no joke) so I crack up when I see that fish :p Just a really deceptively fun game, not even including the fact that it was made in 5 days. Anyway the game runs fine for me, including the competition version, so I guess the changes didn't really affect me, but anyway awesome work w/ this.

Hmm, I have one question though... Is there a way to control the speed of the submarine? It seems like when I try to go straight up or straight down, the speed is less... Also, when I press the space bar repeatedly it seems to go faster, although this might just be wishful thinking on my part :)

Ah one more question, is 414 really your high score? :D Then maybe I don't feel so bad lol, after hours of playing I still only got like 360 at my best point. My only real feat was managing to go so far down in the water that the water was black. (nice touch btw :D)
Quote:Original post by Kuro
As for the art, I actually REALLY like the whole hand-drawn cartoonish style. It reminds me a bit of an old really obscure game for SNES, Pink Panther goes to Hollywood :) lol. I also love the fish's facial expression... I have a friend who looks a bit like that (no joke) so I crack up when I see that fish :p Just a really deceptively fun game, not even including the fact that it was made in 5 days. Anyway the game runs fine for me, including the competition version, so I guess the changes didn't really affect me, but anyway awesome work w/ this.

Thanks! That's the style of art I'd like to put in all my games (since it's all I can really draw [smile]).

I haven't really made that many changes since I introduced the pause functionality. I have been playing around with the random number generator a bit, but I haven't fully tested the game to make sure it's still "fun". I'll probably leave the game as it is though, as it really was meant to be one weeks worth of work.

Quote:
Hmm, I have one question though... Is there a way to control the speed of the submarine? It seems like when I try to go straight up or straight down, the speed is less... Also, when I press the space bar repeatedly it seems to go faster, although this might just be wishful thinking on my part :)

Everytime you press or release the space bar, the submarine gets a jolt of speed. If you "mash" the space bar, you can get a bit of speed. When I play though, it's a lot better to dodge than to try to outrun the Fish.

Quote:
Ah one more question, is 414 really your high score? :D Then maybe I don't feel so bad lol, after hours of playing I still only got like 360 at my best point. My only real feat was managing to go so far down in the water that the water was black. (nice touch btw :D)

I'm actually not sure [smile]. I keep changing the spread and density of the schools of little red fishies, and occasionally resetting the score, so I can't remember. It certainly wasn't higher than 1000 though. I can't really imagine why I put in eight digits into the score...
After restarting for some apparent reason it works now. My high score is about 50. I really like the whole feel of the game. It gives off a nice quality.
--brb
After restarting for some apparent reason it works now. My high score is about 50. I really like the whole feel of the game. It gives off a nice quality.

I'm glad to hear that it works! Since I'm going on holiday tomorrow, I didn't really have the time to fix anything [grin].

I'm also really pleased that everyone is happy with the feel of the game, since I tried to capture the sort of look that I want to give future games that I build.

Thanks to everyone who has tried out the game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement