D3DXQuaternionRotationAxis and D3DXMatrixRotationAxis

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
what is different between them? I know D3DXMatrixRotationAxis that will build matrix according to someting But what do D3DXQuaternionRoataionAxis do? msdn said "Rotates a quaternion about an arbitrary axis." it is ambiguity.
Advertisement
It builds a quaternion which represents a rotation about the specified access.

xyzzy

(Wow, pages on this forum load really slow these days..)
It builds a quaternion. The docs are badly worded.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
If you read the entire description and not just the first line, it's not quite so ambiguous.
Quote:
If you read the entire description and not just the first line, it's not quite so ambiguous.

way to be an ass. Most people don't even seem to look at the help doc. You should give him at least some credit, I am sure he read it.
Quote:Original post by Dave Hunt

To be quite honest, reading further into the docs don't "really" give much an answer, as you quite so boldly put it. It basicly says the exact same thing as Matrix, just replace the word Matrix with Quaternion.

His question was what the difference was, for all we know he doesn't know the difference between a Matrix and a Quaternion. It can be confusing to some people, since when you're taught about DirectX, when rotating you're taught about matrixes, not about Quaternions. At least, that was how it was for me, and looking back on most tutorials, it deals with Matrixes.

So, in an attempt to answer the question, a Quaternion is just another way to rotate space, pretty much. The function builds a Quaternion, much like the Matrix version builds a matrix, that specifies rotation on a certain axis. The concept is identical to a Matrix in a way.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
way to be an ass. Most people don't even seem to look at the help doc. You should give him at least some credit, I am sure he read it.

Way to be anonymous.

At any rate, I was refering to the fact that the first one-line description actually says it "builds a matrix," while the second one-line description simply states that it rotates a quaternion. The full description indicates that it builds a quaternion. If one doesn't know what a quaternion is, the next step would be to research. This could be accomplished by clicking through the links provided in the full descripition where you would wind up at a discussion of "Vectors, Vertices, and Quaternions."

I wasn't being an ass. I was suggesting that derek7 read a bit further. Nothing more.
Quote:

meaning your stupid for not reading the entire document

Quote:
I was suggesting that derek7 read a bit further. Nothing more.

your help was quite ambiguous and demeaning in itself, because apparently you wanted him to find some link in the help doc.

These statements are quite a bit different. Mainly the attitude you came off with. Just take this as a reality check, you were being an jerk. Heck I'm surprised you did not tell him to go google it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement