• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ramirez115

Where are all the good storylines?

This topic is 4887 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Way Walker
Here's my opinion: they didn't get good until FFIV through FFVI. FFVII and FFVIII were steps down. FFIX and FFX redeemed the series a bit, but didn't reach the level of FFVI. FFT is probably the best of the bunch story-wise. FFMQ was as bad as FFI. If we're counting the GB games, then FFLII and FFA were also decent. FFLIII was ok, but FFLI was pretty bad. I haven't played anything after FFX nor have I played FFTA. Also, for the record, I grew up playing FFI, so this isn't a "people just like the first one they played" thing.

Okay, we just have a difference of tastes. I actually agree that FFVI has a better story than FFVII, I just figured FFVII has a larger audience, and it was good enough to make my point anyway.

I was actually disappointed with FFIX, I liked how they were experimenting with FFVII and FFVIII, trying new things, different interpretations of fantasy, etc. I love the wizard with the pointy hat, but he's a character who's been around for about 15 years. I like it when they try new things.

Advertisement
All the good stories are wherever all the money to pay the writers is. Which is to say, not in the game industry. :/

Personally I think there have been several adventure games with good stories, such as Obsidian and Sanitarium. And there were some PS1 RPG with good stories, such as Vagrant Story and the FF games - 7 was my favorite, although I think they all had some strengths and some flaws. But I have yet to see one PS2 game with a story that looked worth buying the game for.

A game that had a story that at least kept my interest.... and was different to say the least was Breakdown. Especially considering that it was an FPS type game the story was good.

Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
All the good stories are wherever all the money to pay the writers is. Which is to say, not in the game industry. :/

They're not in the movie industry, or the television industry. And there's only a handful in the book industry.

Where are they all hiding?

You might think me daring, but I suspect the reason games have rubbish stories is that the target audience has the attention span of a--oh look, a shiny thing!

I don't know, I sorta lump video game stories into the same catergory as fairy tales, simplistic plots that tell a very simple, easy to understand moral/theme that maybe aren't artistic like say, Death of a Salesman, or a Shakesperian play, but they still tell important lessons. Then again, I'm mostly thinking of games marketed toward the young, and not the "look how mature we are because we have tons of blood, nudity, and cussing".

Quick little edit: A lot of my uh, theory is based on console games, not a huge avid PC gamer, so take this with a grain of salt.

I sort of agree with the sentiment that it's because of market forces; nearly every story-based game I've played has not had what I'd call a "good" story (and yes, I include FF6 in this). They often have an adequate story, maybe some interesting characters here and there, but nothing that I really consider memorable.

The only exceptions that I can think of are Grim Fandango and Planescape: Torment. From what I remember, many reviews said that Planescape: Torment was "too wordy", and despite gaining "Game of the Year" awards from heaps of places Grim Fandango didn't sell very well (same with Planescape: Torment).

I guess games with good storylines are probably going to have to aim for a niche market, similar to that with books and films; "blockbuster" and "excellent plot" rarely seem to go together, I'm afraid.

My favorite game stories are the ones that aren't intruding into the game, except as a series of objectives, but is there if you care to look for it.

The Marathon series had some of the coolest and most interesting stories in games, but you could play the whole thing and never really bother with it. On the other hand, you could read all the little terminals and pay attention to the course of the adventure and really get into it.

That's why Halo was such a big letdown for me; even with the books and so forth, it never approached the radical amazingness of the Marathon universe, and that made me sad.

I agree about your Marathon and Halo comment. When I played Halo, I did look at it as being the same universe (which it is supposed to be). To this day, I don't trust Cortana. Marathon had established many rules for AI rapancy (insanity). One was exposing an AI to a planetary wide network, which Cortana was in Halo. But its stuff like that that does pull you into a game. Having a lot of backstory and establishment of the universe.

Yeah, they had some half-baked explanation why Cortana only went halfway rampant in Halo's control room. Pretty weak, I thought.

My strong reaction to the discrepancies, though, is a testament to the power of the original games. Even though the story was presented with green text on a black screen, it sucked me in far more than the cinematic shenanigans of F.E.A.R. or the dragging cutscenes of Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit for you EU types).

I don't expect to get an XBox360, but if you get to frog-blast a vent core in Halo 3, I might consider it.

The Longest Journey had a pretty good and original story line. Its characters were above-average too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!