SDL_Surface* Load_Image(std::string filename);
void Apply_Surface(int x, int y,SDL_Surface *source, SDL_Surface *destination);

#endif

//SDLENGINE.cpp
#include "SDLENGINE.h"
#include <SDL/SDL.h>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

SDL_Surface* Load_Image(string filename)
{
SDL_Surface *temp = NULL;
SDL_Surface *final = NULL;

temp = SDL_LoadBMP(filename.c_str());

if(temp != NULL)
{
final = SDL_DisplayFormat(temp);
SDL_FreeSurface(temp);
}
return final;
)

void Apply_Surface(int x,int y, SDL_Surface* const source, SDL_Surface* const destination)
{
     SDL_Rect Offset;

Offset.x = x;
     Offset.y = y;

SDL_BlitSurface(source,NULL,destination,&Offset);
}

im getting the error in main that... 1 C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Stowe\Desktop\SDLShit\Project\main.cpp [Warning] `nul.gcda' is not a gcov data file for the SDLENGINE.h and 33 C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Stowe\Desktop\SDLShit\Project\main.cpp cannot convert `SDL_Surface**' to `SDL_Surface*' for argument `3' to `void Apply_Surface(int, int, SDL_Surface*, SDL_Surface*)' for the applysurface...can someone tell me why?
Advertisement
May I ask why you are passing an adress of a pointer (if that makes sense)? A pointer is an adress, you aren't passing a non-pointer to be using the '&' infront of it.

Apply_Surface(..., ..., src, dest);// notApply_Surface(..., ..., &src, &dest);//src and dest are already pointers!

Good luck!

(Nice folder name... SDLS#@t!)
Someone told me that SDL_Surface is already defined as a pointer type
yes BUT when you pass a pointer to another cpp file..it gets taken as a COPY instead of directly editing the mempory of the pointer...thanks about the folder haha...i couldnt think of a good name lol
okay it compiled and i get an error that my background is turning out null. which has somting to do with my function Load_Image and returning final back to the background...
Quote:Original post by pulpfist
Someone told me that SDL_Surface is already defined as a pointer type

A SDL_Surface is defined as a non-pointer struct. When you use them though, you will use a pointer to a SDL_Surface due to the C-styled nature of SDL. When you pass them, once again due to how SDL is C-styled, you pass a SDL_Surface*. You could use a normal SDL_Surface if you really wanted to, but that's a bit too much work and error tracking. It'd be much better to wrap up the SDL API into C++ wrappers than try to use references and non-pointer SDL_Surface's.
Quote:
yes BUT when you pass a pointer to another cpp file..it gets taken as a COPY instead of directly editing the mempory of the pointer...

One of the other recent thrads talk about this item too...

It doesnt matter if it is in another cpp file realy, it always send a copy

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=360657
Quote:Original post by willthiswork89
yes BUT when you pass a pointer to another cpp file..it gets taken as a COPY instead of directly editing the mempory of the pointer...thanks about the folder haha...i couldnt think of a good name lol

??? Really? How come I never knew that? Aww well. Anyways, try it the way I suggested, and tell me if it even works. Then once we solve the prob. we can change it back.

@pulpfist:
Noo... not really. It needs to be a pointer, but isn't already.

I guess you can do something like:
typedef (SDL_Surface*) pSDL_Surface;

DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS! I have *not* used typedefs for a *while*.
yes BUT when you pass a pointer to another cpp file..it gets taken as a COPY instead of directly editing the mempory of the pointer...

Nope, the way C/C++ work with pointers, you are passing the actual memory address of a particular object. When you perform operations on the dereferenced object, those changes are permanent, unlike when you pass a non-referenced parameter to a function.

Quote:okay it compiled and i get an error that my background is turning out null. which has somting to do with my function Load_Image and returning final back to the background...

Your code looks good, so check to make sure that the file exists and is in the correct diretory in respect to where you are running the program.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton

Nope, the way C/C++ work with pointers, you are passing the actual memory address of a particular object. When you perform operations on the dereferenced object, those changes are permanent, unlike when you pass a non-referenced parameter to a function.

Quote:okay it compiled and i get an error that my background is turning out null. which has somting to do with my function Load_Image and returning final back to the background...

Your code looks good, so check to make sure that the file exists and is in the correct diretory in respect to where you are running the program.

Yup, agreed. I knew you aren't getting a copy by supplying a pointer, but never really knew what I knew was known to be true ;)!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement