Sign in to follow this  
Klohunt

Microsoft's XNA studio?

Klohunt    122
Hello there, I recently stumbled across www.microsoft.com/xna . They do not give much information about the platform, so I thought I would ask here just to see if anyone knew anything more. Will it be used among game developers like yourselves? Is it going to be way, way more money than I can afford(+$1000)? And finally, will it really be a substitution to Visual Studio for game developers? Thanks to anyone who tries to straighten things out for me.

TheOther    150
Information at this point about XNA is sketchy at best. MS hasn't mentioned anythign about it in a while now..

But there'd be absolutely no sense (business or developer) wise in creating two IDE platforms.

Their flagship Visual Studio 2005 has matured into a pretty productive and robust development tool. I'd therefore imagine the XNA tools (whatever they are) to fit into VS somehow..

Oh and when MS throws around the "cross-platform" lingo, as they do for XNA, be warned that it means PC + XBox. NOT PC + Mac. I'm not sure if this even counts as cross-platform, but that's another thread entirely. ;)

hth,

Mastaba    761
Actually, if you look at the XNA webpage, they don't use the term, "cross platform". They use the term "cross-device". Obviously referring to XBox 360 and PC which both run Windows (of some type).

And from what I can tell, XNA Studio will simply be VS 2005 with XNA plugins, XNA tools, and DirectX. The FAQ also clearly states that the XNA tools (not XNA Studio mind you, just the XNA tools) will be made available in the same fashion as the DirectX SDK. I take that to mean the XNA tools will be freely downloadable, just like the DirectX SDK, which after all, has already included some XNA tools.

Promit    13246
I've heard a few things about XNA Studio, and to make a long story short, don't hold your breath. It won't even be relevant to you unless you're doing development across multiple devices, such as Xbox/PC.