Sign in to follow this  

Variable Prefixing in OO Languages.

This topic is 4397 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In C it was easy. [Variable] g - Global l - Local i - Integer c - Character s - Short o - Instance of a Struct t - Struct u - Unsigned [Function] s - Procedure f - Function eg...
int giJoeHealth;
unsigned int guiJoeRating;

void main(int liTesting)
{
     giJoeHealth = liTesting;
}

In an object orianted language, there must be a hundred different prefixes! In specific to C#, how would you guys go about prefixing it? Or would you not even bother (I'm kinda borderline with doing so or not).

Quote:
Original post by Thevenin
In specific to C#, how would you guys go about prefixing it? Or would you not even bother (I'm kinda borderline with doing so or not).

I'm actually using C++, but anyway, I really don't need to do it to that extent.

I mean, why would you bother with putting prefixes on local variables? If the function is that large that it's hard to keep track of them all, you probably need to split it up into more than 1 function.

With my class member variables, I prefix them with 'm_' to indicate a class member, but nothing past that. I haven't needed it, and again, if your class consists of more than 15 (probably a little large at that) data members, then you should at least consider splitting it up into more than 1 class.

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
An entire section of the MSDN C# reference is devoted exclusively to naming guidelines for various classes and class members. See here.

Hope that helps,
-- k2

Helps a little, but its very indirect (Too indirect for me to understand it).

The only time I ever really feel the need (desire really) to prefix a variable is in the declaration of a function.

int GetSomeNumberFromOtherNumber(int nNumber1, int &rnNumber2, int *pnNumber);

Other than that, I really don't prefix anything other than classes private members with m_Whatever.

Of course, I am referring to c++.

[Edited by - Flimflam on November 28, 2005 2:47:07 AM]

I don't really see the point in hungarian notion. Any decent IDE nowadays will tell you on the spot what type a variable is, and it just causes headaches when you're trying to use other people's code. I much prefer to name variables by what they contain, or typedef things that have a particular meaning. The only exceptions I have are m_ for member variables (because initializer lists in C++ can be difficult when there are parameters with the same name), and g_ for global variables.

typedef int PlayerHealth;
typedef unsigned int PlayerRating;

PlayerHealth g_joeHealth = 0;
PlayerRating g_joeRating = 0;

// I have no idea why main is just taking a single int -- no matter :)
void main(PlayerHealth testing)
{
g_joeHealth = testing;
}

Hey,

My preference is to not have any prefixes. So long as the IDE that you're using can describe types it's not particularly useful anyways IMO.

If code is particularly complex, then occasionally I describe the value expected in the name, but this is usually only in the prototypes [rotationD, rotationR, rotationDCW and the like are more important to me than putting in some information that can be picked up by intellisense or examining the header/documentation manually].

I also use the syntax where I can't overload functions, but I postfix with the type [so that if you're searching for function func, but don't know the specific type, you can look alphabetically rather than looking by type].

Just my thoughts, it's rare for the prefixes/postfixes on variables and functions to be useful in my experience. It may be more explicit, but it's also at least 1 more [redundant] keystroke per variable.

--CJM

'Nuff said

I don't prefix variables, except sometimes putting _ in front of class members. What point is there? If the (local) variable declaration is too far away from the usage, then your methods are too big.

Quote:
Original post by etothex
I don't prefix variables, except sometimes putting _ in front of class members.

Which, of course, is illegal in Standard C++ (identifiers with leading underscores are reserved for the standard library implementation).

Use what you want, just be consistent, and accept that virtually nobody else will agree with you.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Use what you want, just be consistent, and accept that virtually nobody else will agree with you.

Thats going in my little collection of great phrases. [smile]

I seem to be in the same boat with most of the other replies. I consistently use prefixes in two places: g_ for global variables and _ for class members (but only private or protected, not public). I also use camel humping for the rest of the name, and never use underscores anywhere else except enums and preprocessor defines, which are always capitalized. One reason for my system, it's easy to find globals that I probably intend to encapsulate elsewhere.

Another argument against verbose notation: if you change the variable's data type, you need to change the name (intName to lngName or whatever). So much for encapsulation and reuse. That's also why I limit the underscore prefix to private/protected class members. They're the only variables whose context I always need to differentiate.

Quick example of how I do it:

#define MAX_ARRAY_SIZE 1024

class aClassOfMine {
private:
int _classMember;
public:
int classFunction();
};

aClassOfMine g_myClassArray[MAX_ARRAY_SIZE];

Quote:
Original post by DaTroof
Another argument against verbose notation: if you change the variable's data type, you need to change the name (intName to lngName or whatever).

Yah, thats been my only problem with the prefix system. =/

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by etothex

Which, of course, is illegal in Standard C++ (identifiers with leading underscores are reserved for the standard library implementation).

No, AFAIK, identifiers are only prohibited with leading double-underscores, or global identifiers with leading underscores. [draft 17.4.3.1.2]

Unless the final standard is different, or I am interpreting the standard incorrectly (in that case, one leading underscore could _only_ be used by the implementation in the global namespace, which doesn't make sense), I am ok using _ in private class identifiers.

I usually use java for OO, and code procedurally in c++, which if I'm wrong shows why I have not reached the conflict earlier :)

EDIT: I correct myself, one leading underscore followed by an uppercase letter is reserved an any namespace. But underscore + lowercase should be ok.

Quote:

Yep, just be kind to those reading your code and use descriptive identifiers (and comment).

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by etothex

It is not illegal.

The following identifiers are reserved:
Quote:
ISO 14882, section 17.4.3.1.3:
- Each name that contains a double underscore or begin with an underscore followed by an upper-case letter.
- Each name that begins with an underscore is reserved to the implementation in the global namespace

Guest Anonymous Poster
just don't go overboard with all the pre/suffixing and naming conventions.. intellisense is our friend.

Prefixes should indicate use, not type. Ironically, this was Simonyi's original intention with what is popularly known as "Hungarian Notation" (or derisively known as Microsoft Notation). Unfortunately, being Hungarian, his facility with English was limited and he used the word "type" where he meant "kind," and we have suffered ever since under the yoke of Petzold.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Prefixes should indicate use, not type. Ironically, this was Simonyi's original intention with what is popularly known as "Hungarian Notation" (or derisively known as Microsoft Notation). Unfortunately, being Hungarian, his facility with English was limited and he used the word "type" where he meant "kind," and we have suffered ever since under the yoke of Petzold.

Use == Type in OO.

Take the often quoted safe-string / unsafe-string article. It's about javascript - it's totally irrelevent to C++ as in C++ you'd simply have two classes with (explicit) conversion so that using an unsafe-string in place of a safe string becomes a compiler error rather than a bug which can be spotted by examing the variable names.

Quote:
Original post by Nitage
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi

Use == Type in OO.

I'm not sure I follow you here. But if you're saying that the manner in which an object is used uniquely defines its type, I have to disagree strenuously. The obvious example is any single-inheritance chain: common base types can substitute for the specialized types (aka LSP).

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Quote:
Original post by Nitage
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi

Use == Type in OO.

I'm not sure I follow you here. But if you're saying that the manner in which an object is used uniquely defines its type, I have to disagree strenuously. The obvious example is any single-inheritance chain: common base types can substitute for the specialized types (aka LSP).

The use of the class from the perspective of the user equates to the type which the object is referenced with (the base class).
I didn't say anything about uniqueness.

I agree that prefixes should be dropped when it's possible to just use the type system instead, since the compiler's much more relyable at checking things than humans.

And anyways, how the hell are you supposed to prefix for templated types? >;]

Oh, and regarding the first post:
unsigned int guiJoeRating; // <-- sure looks like a badly-named GUI widget to me

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

interesting article on variable prefixes, and some history/true story type stuff about hungarian notation. excellent read.

edit: this is the article Oluseyi and Nitage are talking about.

Two ironic things.

1) The time I most want to actually use any kind of Hungarian notation is when I'm working in Python. :s

2) The people who seem to defend HN the most strongly are the ones who are also fond of fancy IDEs which are supposed to provide the exact same information. (But then, looking at their code, it seems that redundancy is indeed no problem for these people... sigh...)

This topic is 4397 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.