Sign in to follow this  
phaelax

procedural textures

I'm curious about creating procedural textures, for 3d objects such as terrain. The majority of searches I've done online have all pretty much lead to Perlin noise. That's fine for creating the landscape itself (heightmaps), but what about the ground textures? Are their other options besides Perlin? An example of what I'd like to create can be seen in Terragen: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/productmain.shtml

Unfortunatly it kind of boils down to perlin noise (or maybe simplex noise) for textures, but there are many ways to combine multiple noise values to get different results (google for fBm (fractal brownian motion) for example).

If you are interrested in procedural textures I recommend getting Texturing & Modelling: A Procedural Approach. There is some very nice stuff in there.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Check out Iterated Function Systems. One of my coefficient set that I've picked up randomly gave me very nice rock-like texture, perfect for bumpmapping.

Guest Anonymous Poster
look at worely textures too. they can (with help from noise based approaches) give you periodic textures like cracked mud, spots, and bark. Lightwave3D's texture system for example uses a combination of geometric patterns, noise approaches, and worely textures and is pretty versatile.

james