[.net] Display game file as folder

Started by
6 comments, last by mutex 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi All, I'm trying to display a game file as a folder in Windows Explorer. As many resources are 'simple' files and many graphic designers are used to using explorer, it would be easier if they could use that to pack the files, similar to ZIP files. Do you know any example code or articles on this?
---------------------------------------------------Life after death? No thanks, I want to live NOW --- Sturm 2001
Advertisement
Perhaps you should check out the articles section on this page...
_______________________Afr0Games
I did, well not 'all' of them, and I might have overlooked the one that covers this. Any ideas of where it could have hid itself?
---------------------------------------------------Life after death? No thanks, I want to live NOW --- Sturm 2001
Articles and tutorials -> Programming -> General programming -> Compression algorithms
_______________________Afr0Games
Look for a topic "Shell Namespace Extensions" in MSDN to get you started.

Niko Suni

Actually, Afr0m@n, I don't think that's what he's after. He want's to display the contents of his resource file as if it were a folder in explorer, like how explorer does for .zip files in Windows XP.

Shell namespace extenions aren't that easy at the best of times... but here's an article which shows you how to create one with .NET. It's pretty good, and is almost exactly the sort of thing you're after (well, that's what I gather from reading the abstract)
Thank Dean, thats exactly what I'm looking form. I was just hopign that there were alternatives to shell extensions.

Thanks alot all.

Unfortunately that .NET shell extension article is not recommended. Basically it causes the CLR to be loaded into the shell, which can cause problems if other extensions depend on a specific CLR version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement