Ethereal Darkness Interactive's The Lost City of Malathedra screenshots + discussion

Started by
142 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Acid-Chris
Hi there!

first of all...really nice screenshots! kinda interesting to see more and more parts of "Project 2" ;)

Got a question about the texture splatting used in "Project 2":
Are you going to place paths or streets the same way? For example...using the red channel in the color-map indicates where the path texture is blended into?

yup, that is exactly how we will do it =)

Quote:Original post by Acid-Chris
Another interesting thing would be some kind of tutorial on how you came so far.
You know...heightmapped terrain, your fixed view approach, basic lighting, the tree-sprites and your basic texture splatting.
I know...these articles exist all over the gamedev boards and websites. But it would be great to see or find them at one place. maybe a sticky in the isometric board...

best regards and good luck for your project...
- christoph -

Unfortunetly (as you can imagine) I am always busy, so the periodic updates I give is about the best I can do until perhaps I retire ;)

thanks for the luck =)

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Advertisement
I've finally managed to get software splattering working, and now its on to hardware based. Since you said that you would let us see your code if we wanted, would you mind posting or sending it?

Thanks,
- Jeremy
oooh I didn't even notice that there was another one of these posts, now I can follow along in your Journal and on this thread. I'm always interested to see whats going on.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Turt99: hehe, yup =)

So, now that the engine is in a semi-presentable state (still lacking a lot of functionality, but enough to move about the environment, and actually have an environment) it is time to write an editor.

we decided to write an external editor instead of an internal one which was originaly planned, this was mainly because writing the ui for the engine editor would be a long and painful task.

So here is where the editor currently is at:

I am writing it in C# and so far after only a day and a half of work it is looking excellent, always choose the right tool for the job =)

we chose XML as our map output format, this will save many headaches as the format changes over time (oh and it will I am sure LOL) and it will mean that little tweaks such as (replace all lava tiles with water) can be done via a text editor instead of through back-breaking editor work, or writing specialized editor code.

Hi! looks pretty good, allthough i'm not a cellshading fan. I was wondering if the 3d terrain can overlap the 2d sprites? (high hills and such).

Sorry for the lag in update but things have been busy, and I have a nice screenshot to show for it =)

This is a pulled back shot of the 'proof of concept' map that I am working on, to ensure S3Engine has all the features we need =)
the water is animated (and looks a little weird freeze-framed)
I added the ability to have animated terrain materials, which i think is going to be really nice, since it will allow for lava flows, water, sparkling ice, and all sorts of things =)

the engine is nearing completion, though there are some major systems that still need implementing =)

and I am currently working on the story too =)

How did you make the models, like that stick hut there?
we use modeling software and render them to 2D sprites

Raymond (Ray?),
The screen shot is quite interesting to say the least. Any plans on getting dynamic shadowing working with your sprites and 2D objects? That way you could animate the trees blowing in the wind and recieve shadows that match (course this could be achieved in the 3D pre-rendering with an alpha channel also). I'm guessing here that the trees are 2D sprites same as the hut.

How long till we at least get an idea of the storyline and maby a simple sample of the engine?

- Jeremy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement