Ethereal Darkness Interactive's The Lost City of Malathedra screenshots + discussion

Started by
142 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 6 months ago
Greetings all, Much like the stickied 'isometric interaction' thread in this forum (which concentraited on the isometric concepts and visuals in our first game Morning's Wrath; I am starting another thread where I will post screen shots and discuss aspects of isometric games (in an effort to improve their form and function) for "Project2" which is the current working title of our next game. So feel free to post questions, suggestions, etc. Keep in mind we are in the engine development stages and have been for about a month & 1/2 now. And to start things off our most recent screen shot: What you are seeing is a terrain made up of textured quads, and some 'entities' (the trees); their shadows are simply runtime blackened, alpha blended and skewed 'blits' of the actual image, I think it makes for a good look. Also keep in mind, the art style for this game is to be more 'cartoonish' than Morning's Wrath, which is why you might notice exagerated geometry, solid colors, and 'ink' outlines. [Edited by - EDI on June 1, 2006 8:37:03 AM]

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Advertisement
That's very nice! I really like the trees.
I wish I had cool screenshots to show off.... :
Looks great!
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Honestly, "cartoonish" was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the screenshot, so I think it's fairly safe to say that you're on the right track. ^_^

What are the lighter areas under some of the trees? You'd think it should be darker instead.
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
What are the lighter areas under some of the trees? You'd think it should be darker instead.

For test purposes I just have some of the trees lit.

I think the slight glow under the trees is nice because it evens out the plain colour of the ground. I think that you should decouple the light from the tree, by having a lantern or something. I understand it is for testing though, hehe.

Dave
BTW is that cell-shaded or do you have a good artist?
Any 'entity' in the game can be lit (weither it has a graphical representation or not), so everything from a tree down to a lamp on a table can have it's own light source =D

The trees are sprites, i modeled them and rendered them and performed some post processing. So while i am the programmer I guess I am also the 'good artist' [grin]

P.S.
I also did most of the in-game art for Morning's Wrath too.

Wicked.

See im not such a good artist, or at least i could be if i had the time. What apps do you use for art and how long did that tree take you.

ace
I primarily use Rhino3D (NURBS solid object modeling / Rendering) and Photoshop (Texture creation / Post Processing).

Hmm. let's see I am gonna wager that tree took me between 30min. to an hour

the leaves were the hardest part to do, =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement