• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Ethereal Darkness Interactive's The Lost City of Malathedra screenshots + discussion

This topic is 4219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks greatly for the detailed explination. That combined with the article that I stumbled upon here about the topic gets me moving in the right direction.

One more little question :). It appears that the new engine will be in Direct3D (I appologize if this is already answered and I missed it). I'm guessing that this is how your achieving the "Topigraphical" style along with shadow casting?

Looks like this new engine and game will be far advanced over the Mornings Wrath one, can't wait to see it in action. Course I hope I managed to finish Mornings Wrath before this one comes out, LOL.

- Jeremy

Advertisement
Yup we are using Direct3D and the terrain is /actually/ 3D, however we are using a fixed view. The shadows you are seing are done via a single directional light (like the sun) the goal is to also allow for some omnidirectional lights too.

Yes this engine is likely to be far advanced over Flare(the mw engine),we are hoping it's new capabilities will make developing easier, and result in another great game =)

One more question for you out of curiosity; Any chance that this one will come with a scripting engine and level editor for the end user to modify the game with?

- Jeremy

well, Morning's Wrath has those features, but noone has really steped forward to ask for them yet; that coupled with me being so busy, I haven't released them.

as for project 2, we use Lua as the scripting engine, and the map editor is internal.

our goals are to licence the engine after Project2 is released in an effort to gain more capital so 'hopefully' we can begin to work at this full-time, so the tools won't be released as freeware, but as part of a 'game development package'. somewhat like a torque type engine, except it's usage is far more concise, and specifically for adventure games in similar structure to Project2.

or at least that is the current plan =D

Guest Anonymous Poster
The graphics look great!

One small suggestion though: please make the camera use some kind of scrolling with acceleration (take a look at the Secret of Mana 2 for the SNES for inspiration) - coupled with a semi-fast movement speed this should look great. One (of the few) short-comings of Morning's Wrath was the camera movement which looked a bit 'wooden'.

Hello :) nice menus, were you perhaps inspired by "Silver"?

I've been watching this topic for a while now. It seems that you have really learned a lot from your previous project. I especially like the art you are making, it looks very promissing.

Question about the radial menu system...does the cursor (highlight) just circle around through the different options or is the cursor static with the actual objects rotating around? Did that make sense? Either way is the selection mouse or key driven?

the selection is mouse driven and free-form , each item is esentially a button which you can click.

Hi there!

first of all...really nice screenshots! kinda interesting to see more and more parts of "Project 2" ;)

Got a question about the texture splatting used in "Project 2":
Are you going to place paths or streets the same way? For example...using the red channel in the color-map indicates where the path texture is blended into?

Another interesting thing would be some kind of tutorial on how you came so far.
You know...heightmapped terrain, your fixed view approach, basic lighting, the tree-sprites and your basic texture splatting.
I know...these articles exist all over the gamedev boards and websites. But it would be great to see or find them at one place. maybe a sticky in the isometric board...

best regards and good luck for your project...
- christoph -

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement