Sign in to follow this  
EDI

Ethereal Darkness Interactive's The Lost City of Malathedra screenshots + discussion

Quote:
Original post by 3drz
This looks great i'm only just starting on c++ and can already see you've put weeks or more work into this great job [smile]

Weeks?

Try Months :D

But thanks :)

Quote:
Original post by 3drz
This looks great i'm only just starting on c++ and can already see you've put weeks or more work into this great job [smile]

While I can't expect a beginner programmer to know how much it ACTUALLY takes to make a game, I figure I should correct you. Weeks? EDI's beeen working on it for months. That's just how much time it takes even to make even a small scale adventure game. I'd put malathedra on the medium scale level.

Good job EDI.

EDIT: Damn EDI, beat me. ;)

this one is a bit of a spoiler, but i thought i'd post it anyway.

this should be the first indication that 'The Lost City of Malathedra' is a good title ;) I realize it's been a little weird when you've only had beach scenes to look at.

Ever since I played Kings Quest, Monkey Island and Hero's Quest/Quest For Glory these adventure games have always held some fascination with me. Looks like this next one of yours will surpass Mornings Wrath in graphics, just hope the story is as good too [smile].

Wow... those are some pretty incredible games. I'd heard of Morning's Wrath before, and I had no idea it was made by an indie development team. I just have a couple of questions that I didn't see answered in the rest of the thread (although I could easily have missed them).

1. How many people make up your production team? Do you have a designated artist, writer, etc.?

2. How long have you been programming?

3. Did you write the engine for this game on your own, or did you use a commercial one such as Ogre?

Keep up the good work - looks awesome =).

Wow... those are some pretty incredible games. I'd heard of Morning's Wrath before, and I had no idea it was made by an indie development team. I just have a couple of questions that I didn't see answered in the rest of the thread (although I could easily have missed them).

1. How many people make up your production team? Do you have a designated artist, writer, etc.?

3. Did you write the engine for this game on your own, or did you use a commercial one such as Ogre?

EDIT: ... wow... I can't believe I didn't notice I posted that THREE TIMES! Sorry...

[Edited by - EmrldDrgn on October 16, 2006 6:46:47 PM]

Quote:
Original post by EmrldDrgn

Morning's Wrath was composed of 5 people:

Raymond Jacobs (that's me) - lead, engine design, writing, in-game art, modeling, animation, scripting, map editing.
Zac Todd - Co-Developer, writing, scripting.
Adam Frechette - Composer
Morgan Chaput - 2D Sketch Art, in-game item art
Jenna Hoffstein - Additional 3D Character Modeling

For The Lost City of Malathedra, our team is slightly smaller:

Raymond Jacobs (still me :D ) - lead, engine design, writing, art, modeling, animation, scripting, map editing.
Donald Beals (Programmer16) - Co-Developer, scripting, map editing.
David Rodriguez - Marketing, Public Relations.
Joe Francis - Composer

As you can see our development team is made up of very talented and versitile people. Given that we are small and work with budget that is even smaller, we can't really afford to specialize.

Quote:

I started /real/ programming probably back in 1999, so about seven years.

However my journey from gamer to game developer has been probably about 11 years now.

Quote:

For all the games I've made I've written my own engines.

The first engine Flare3 (for morning's wrath) was primarily for learning purposes. It took me three years to develop flare3 and morning's wrath.

But the current engine S3Engine (for TLCoM and others hopefully) is an
investment, spend some time (5 months) to get an engine which meets the
exact specs of your games. S3Engine uses many external libraries, that
plus experience is the reason it has only taken 5 months to build the engine.

Quote:

Thanks a lot, your encouragement really helps :)

Quote:
Original post by EDI
Videos!

These show some WIP in-game animation and sequences for TLCoM.

Enjoy.

Rebecca and the TikiBar

I laughed at this one but...
Quote:
Rebecca 'helps' Javas the Jellyfish Charmer

...this one by far had me chortling the most.

Guest Anonymous Poster
This game (and the previous) look awsome!! Im starting my own point+click isometric game, your work is inspirational! but also shows the shortcomings of my team, it might take us years to get to completion! lol

Cant wait for the release!