Program not running for some people

Started by
18 comments, last by rmsimpson 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by mldaalder
Don't quote me on this, but I've read somewhere on these forums that if you either chose to embed the manifest (or not, can't quite remember) then you won't have this problem.

You can find it somewhere in your project properties.

This only works for statically linked programs, if you are using the DLL runtimes you cant get around the problem.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by phantom
Hmmmm, I direct you to my
href="http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=357914&whichpage=1?">reply here, which

refernces a different blog page on the matter
and one which applies to the full release of VS2005.

And yes, it works, even to distro to Win2000 systems

Using this solution, do I have to still redistribute the dlls and the manifest and the .msi, or just the .msi will suffice?

Also, it's weird that part on his troubleshooting section:

Quote:
Error message CNDL0054 from candle.exe
candle.exe : error CNDL0054 : The document element name 'Include' is invalid. A WiX source file must use 'Wix' as the document element name.

Cause: you have tried executing >candle.exe vccrt.wxi -out vccrt.wixobj instead of >candle.exe vccrt.wxs -out vccrt.wixobj

Hmm, I wonder why I did that dude. Is it maybe because you told me so? :)
Just the MSI file, which needs to be run on the target computer to install the DLLS into the correct locations.

btw, I downloaded the WiX VS plugin, works fine with VS2005,I didnt feel like playing with the command line one [grin]
Thanks man, it seems to work. One final little question, since I can't test it right now on other computers:

I wanted to test if the installation it works in other computers, so I renamed my installed MSVCR80.DLL to MSVCR800.DLL. Naturally, the application does not run. I choose the .msi and double-click it. Nothing happens, and still the app does not run. I choose the .msi, right-click it and choose "Fix" or "Upgrade"(I have a Greek Version of WinXP, and don't know how it translates to English). I see that a new MSVCR80.DLL is installed, and the app is running. I assume this happens because I have already VS2005 installed? In computers which don't have it at all, double-clicking the .msi will work, right?
Quote:Original post by phantom
Hmmmm, I direct you to my reply here, which refernces a different blog page on the matter and one which applies to the full release of VS2005.

And yes, it works, even to distro to Win2000 systems

i was about to post that link. [grin]

there's info on msdn somewhere that says you can just drop the runtimes into the folder with your app, but it's 100% wrong. the dll's can only be loaded from the SxS directories. following the instructions in that blog to make an installer will solve the problem if you aren't statically linking. (static linking is generally a bad idea. if there's a critical security update for the runtimes, your app will still be using the static linked unpatched version.)
This space for rent.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
Thanks man, it seems to work. One final little question, since I can't test it right now on other computers:

I wanted to test if the installation it works in other computers, so I renamed my installed MSVCR80.DLL to MSVCR800.DLL. Naturally, the application does not run. I choose the .msi and double-click it. Nothing happens, and still the app does not run. I choose the .msi, right-click it and choose "Fix" or "Upgrade"(I have a Greek Version of WinXP, and don't know how it translates to English). I see that a new MSVCR80.DLL is installed, and the app is running. I assume this happens because I have already VS2005 installed? In computers which don't have it at all, double-clicking the .msi will work, right?

i made the installer and tested it on other pc's running xp pro sp2 and xp home sp2 and it worked perfectly.
This space for rent.
When I double-click the MSI file on my computer (with VS2005 installed) it briefly shows a progress dialog, then goes away without any prompting. Right-clicking the MSI file shows "Install", "Uninstall" and "Repair".

The only reason I can think of that the MSI file didn't install for you when double-clicked is that perhaps the file associations for MSI files have been altered in some way.

Robert
Quote:
The only reason I can think of that the MSI file didn't install for you when double-clicked is that perhaps the file associations for MSI files have been altered in some way.

Yeah, I totally forgot that I had aldreadt installed the same .msi some days ago and then screwed with the dlls today. I've figured it out now, thanks.

Btw, "vcredist_x86.exe" which you mentioned does not exist in my hard drive, even though I've installed everything. I've heard from other people too that it only comes with Professional Edition, and we who use Express have to build it manually, like that blog says.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
Btw, "vcredist_x86.exe" which you mentioned does not exist in my hard drive, even though I've installed everything. I've heard from other people too that it only comes with Professional Edition, and we who use Express have to build it manually, like that blog says.

that is correct. fortunately making the installer was simple and only took a few minutes.
This space for rent.
I found this link
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=149470&SiteID=1

which states that the vc_redist file will be available for download on MS's website soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement