How Many Do I Need To Fill An Arc?

Started by
1 comment, last by JohnBolton 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey all, My buddy has a question (it's not game related) but I knew you'd be up to the task since God knows we're too retarded to figure it out. He's building a wooden treasure chest out of individual boards and he's trying to figure out how many boards he needs to build the lid. The dimensions of the chest he wants are: 4' Wide, 3' Deep, 4' High (Base is 3 feet, Lid is 1 foot). So a sideview of the lid looks like this: Which forms a parabola of sorts, but the hell if we remember our grade 10 math. Anyone have an idea on the formula that we need here? Thanks.
Advertisement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Circumference

If I understood your project correctly then this should be acceptable, since that projection of your lid looks like half an elllipse
¿We Create World?
Make a cross-section drawing like the one above, but do it accurately and to scale. Then take a piece of string and measure the length of the curve in the drawing. That will give you a very close answer without involving a lot of research, time, or expense.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement