Sign in to follow this  
Aviscowboy1

Applying a 2d tile map to a C++ mmpog

Aviscowboy1    124
Okay, here is the problem. I have tried almost every resource that I have to figure this out. I will probably wack myself in the head for this after I ask, but here it goes. I have rendered in graphics for Visual c++ games, but this time I want to use a map editor to apply a tile map to a 2d game. This time I am hard coding a new game without the help of Visual C++ to eliminate Microsluts unwanted "Garbage". So I am hard coding a new game. I have created a tile map (bmp files) using mappy. The tiles are 2d...16x16 tiles. I want to apply this map to basically a window on the "Dashboard" (in case anyone has questions on what this is... it is the main game screen) The question is How would I export a map from lets say Mappy. and apply it to code in the game. 1) would this be exported as a .dat file? 2) What would the raw C++ code be to place the map on the "dashboard"?

zer0wolf    1022
This question would be better suited for Graphics Programming.

That being said, why would it have to be a .dat file? You might want to reword your question a bit more, leave out the fanboy "Microsluts" stuff, and maybe describe this dashboard system you're talking about.

Aviscowboy1    124
okay,

The dashboard basically consists of a chat screen on the bottom of the game screen... and on to the right of the screen is the character attributs, backpack, etc... what I am talking about is the main game map..

zer0wolf    1022
By the sounds of (and the e-mail you sent me), you should start learning a graphics API. Check out SDL (www.libsdl.org). It makes alot of things like 2D graphics, input, audio, threading, and timing quite a bit easier.

Aviscowboy1    124
Mappy is a very common tile editor. pretty similar to most tile editors that some people either make or use in creating an rpg.

The map will be in the upper right corner at all times

for more info on mappy here is the link

http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php