Sign in to follow this  
dxFoo

Thinking about buying VC++ 2003. Question though.

dxFoo    100
I noticed my college is selling Visual C++/C# 2003 Standard for a little over than $50. Since I have Visual C++/C# 2005 Express, and being particularly interested in C++ to access unmanaged & managed, is there any benefit in buying 2003? What are the benefits in getting 2003? Few concerns: 1) Does it include Win32 API, 2) does it allow managed code with the new syntax downloadable? In 2005, it allows you to set the CLR to old/new syntax which is why I ask. Thanks in advanced, dxfoo

Boku San    428
My question here would be -- Why? 2005 Express is free. F-R-E-E.

You've already got it, too, so I don't see much point. If they were selling Visual STUDIO '03 at $50, it might be worth considering -- but then again, I haven't looked much at a current price for that, because, as I said, '05 Express is already free.

dxFoo    100
I know that :) I guess the overall thing is if I need to develop 1.1 apps, 2003 is worthwhile to buy. If I develop 2.0 apps, 2005 is worthwhile. I am still interested in my two questions. I don't know if it's just me, but if you use Express, and distribute a project, your user can't open it. I used a win32 app for testing this. I suppose if I'm using unmanaged C++ most of the time, then VC++ 1.1 probably won't be necessary.

I would recommend Visual Studio 2005. It has everything that 2003 has plus better intellisence and .net 2.0 capability, and it isn't very expensive. Here is a link to the price list. Of course, the price you stated might justify, depending on your needs.

[edit]

Didn't see your questions :)

Your questions:
1) yes, it includes the windows api in the 2005 edition
2) yes, it allows you to program using the new syntax

Hope this helps,
ProgrammingNerd