How do you people control your walking players?

Started by
13 comments, last by bzroom 18 years, 4 months ago
I like the driving part of the game. I didn't really like the mouse camera view walking though, just did not feel right.

Great job.

-hammackj
Jacob Hammackhttp://www.hammackj.com
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by hammackj
I like the driving part of the game. I didn't really like the mouse camera view walking though, just did not feel right.

Great job.

-hammackj

Could you please explain why you dislike it and how you would improve it?
In "ernie" mode I would like to be able to control the camera, this is a 3rd person camera right? When i move my mouse to turn the character if i move it to fast the camera loops into ernie. since you use wsad movement, possibly set the camera free, for move manipulation unless you are going to have all the game art designed for the current perspective. The only thing that comes to mind atm with 3rd person cameras would be World of warcraft. But if your game design is specific to the current layout, it would work just a few tweeks would be needed.

I really like the car part where the camera splits, but i would maybe suggest that you make the main view full screen and put the mini window in the corner or mouse moveable. I love the car and how it handles, it is really fun. You could make a bad ass racing game with what you have now maybe like mario cart.

I see a lot of possiblities with what you have now, I think it is a really good job. Just different from my tastes, i mostly play FPS and WoW.

-Hammackj
Jacob Hammackhttp://www.hammackj.com
Quote:Original post by honayboyzAnyways, god knows what happened but one release later all my physics got screwy, the suspension got all boingy and the ground has even LESS friction. So please tell me if when you first run the game does the car bounce like its on a waterbed, or pritty normal looking. (mine bounces like a waterbed)

Heres the new link. Thanks for trying it out.

A little boingy, the wheels seem to spin really fast when starting to move.

This is why I recommend version control to all game developers, If you were using it you could have rolled back until you found the exact checkin that made it start doing that.

Try CVS or the new hotness that is SVN.
Working on a fully self-funded project
Thanks, and I really should. But I am blessed with my job which comes with nightly complete backups of my computer (a few others) and our databases. Everyday I carry my game from work to home or vs on my thumb drive. So when I got to work I ran the messed up one on the drive and verified it was indeed f'ed up. And then just blasted it and kept the one from 16 hours ago. Recalled my few changes and I was back in business.

I "free'd" the camera and I have to say I dont like it. It dosn't move unless you move and I find myself running at the camera often just pushing it away not rotating it around. I grew a likeing for the old way just because I play it roughly every 5 min. But I did see some nice things about the free camera such as when I got out of the car the camera didnt' instantly rush to the new behind location it just stayed put and looked a little to the left.

Anyways thanks for the input. Last night I implemented an auto aim'ing system that just takes the dot product of the forward player vector and the target-player vector and checks it against a threshold. But I feel like this is not proper such as things far away have a larger deviation from the "normal" bullet path but same angle. And up close bullets shoot sideways out of the gun, but I think this is because I havn't implemented IK on the gun arm so that when the aim vector changes the arm orientation changes. Any suggestions or 2 cents on the above topics? I'm pritty good at IK, I figured alot out trying to simulate the r3j controller which is a beast of an IK engine.

Edit: I uploaded just the new exe with the camera being "free'd" and the new aiming system. It can be found here: Click Here.

[Edited by - honayboyz on December 3, 2005 12:31:50 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement