How do you people control your walking players?

Started by
13 comments, last by bzroom 18 years, 4 months ago
What kinda control scheme are you guys using to control your walking characters. Right now I'm just using left and right to rotate the direction vector by 80 degrees/second and Up to move in that direction. I usualy like the way games like GTA3 (ps2) play where the joystick is in relation to the viewing angle. But I'm actualy pritty happy with the way my guy "steers". Just curious how you people are doing it? You can download my progress and see my simple way HERE (only 1 redirection, STUPID IIS!!) [Edited by - honayboyz on November 28, 2005 11:51:11 PM]
Advertisement
I get a "You are not authorized to view this page" message when I try to download the file

edit: lol now it works

[Edited by - Neil Kerkin on November 29, 2005 6:35:50 PM]
seems to work for me
It depends on the audience and type of your game.

I personally prefer the typical FPS control schema in which you use W and S to go forwards and backwards, A and D to strafe and the mouse to steer in which direction you're going. To see a good implementation of this schema in a 3rd person shooter check out the Max Payne 2.
Very nice demo. You should enable texture filtering of some kind.

My thoughts on controls go like this: they should be redefinable by the player. My personal preference is wasd for movement, its comfortable for my left hand and has lots of keys around it for other commands.

In game third person cameras are a more tricky beast. I've tended to find that ones that sweep around in a more cinematic fashion (think Tomb Raider, Enter the Matrix, GTA:x etc etc) tend to look nicer but actually I've always found they get in the way of the gameplay. For instance, take any of the missions where you have to get in a car and drive it undamaged to another point. When you get in the car, the camera is looking across the camera, you can't see what's infront of you. It'll only swing around behind you when you start moving, but you don't want to drive off without seeing what's in front of you for fear of damaging the car.
We're working on a multiplayer RPG, and since the view is more or less 'classic RPG' (e.g. pseudo-isometric/top-down view) we're planning on using the standard "point click/hold" movement system found in classic games.

User aims the mouse in a particular direction he wants to move, and while the mouse button is down, he moves in that direction. It makes sense in this case to also permit WASD movement (Neverwinter Nights did this) so it may very well become a feature, too.
Quote:Original post by MatrixCubed
We're working on a multiplayer RPG, and since the view is more or less 'classic RPG' (e.g. pseudo-isometric/top-down view) we're planning on using the standard "point click/hold" movement system found in classic games.

User aims the mouse in a particular direction he wants to move, and while the mouse button is down, he moves in that direction. It makes sense in this case to also permit WASD movement (Neverwinter Nights did this) so it may very well become a feature, too.

Funny thing with NWN, long ago I got on their case for NOT using WASD interface method for navigating the viewpoint in their editor (a logical idea to use the same navigation system used in the main game....). They used a kludgy combination including use of buttons on the screen (click with mouse) to rotate the view -- which made the constant visual checking needed when editing a module scene truely tedious (and no way existing to reassign command functions between keyboard buttons -- a pretty much standard feature these days (no rocket science nessessary)).

Defiantly make it user definable. Eg, because of my desktop layout, the wasd keys are not as good as the arrows which I always use in FPS's.
I like the demo. The friction on the grass seems to be very small. :) What kind of game are you planning?
Levi

I've updated the link. I hope you guys all like the magic way it exit's :). I call it Groovy Burt's Black Light Masacre, included in the file is a cool song I plan to use as music. It'll hopefully be like GTA3, just point in a general direction of something, shoot n blow it up. You'll rack up points killing things and doing tricks in ur car such as barrel rolls and flips. (I like to get goin really fast towards a car and do a front wheel stand into it and front flip over it)

Anyways, god knows what happened but one release later all my physics got screwy, the suspension got all boingy and the ground has even LESS friction. So please tell me if when you first run the game does the car bounce like its on a waterbed, or pritty normal looking. (mine bounces like a waterbed)

Heres the new link. Thanks for trying it out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement