Game Story (needs criticism)

Started by
19 comments, last by drackill 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Emn1ty
Well, no. We dont want to imply that it is becoming something different than what it was, but merely improving on itself, therefore evolving to a higher being.

"Evolve" precisely implies that something is becoming something different than what it was.

"Evolve" does not imply the result is 'higher' than what it was, whatever 'higher' is considered to be.
Advertisement
Okay, the Aboleth and Terrant are the same guys, sorry, forgot to change all the text.

Okay, the reason for all the excersises is because you were just in cryogenig sleep, and these new items are stuff recently developed with help from the Alketh, but with the same basic ballistics technology, considering that most of the Alketh tech has to be redeveloped from the attack flight from thier homeworld.

You were recently stationed on an outpost before you returned to earth, you volunteered for a new technolgy developed with the Alketh (your suite). You then travel to Mars, which has the top research and developement facilities there and you are unconsiously fitted into this armor. you are then transported to earth via cryostasis because the standard ships of the time are still fairly slow and take around 6 months to traverse between planets without jumping through artificial wormholes (hevent worked out the details about this yet).

Now, it states he doesnt know why he is fighting. This is because he basically feels like a puppet, and tool of war. He knows that there is corrupt rule in the Earth Government and the ALketh high Council, but he does not know the details. Every battle he fights shows him how ruthless the Terrant are to destroy the Alketh (they mostly attack the ALketh first instead of bothering with humans), and he begins to feel sorry for them becuase he knows they have thier own families to return too, and are dying for a cause they may not support. He realizes all he is is an instrument of death, and wonders why he is fighting. He feels that all he is doing is ending lives, and fighting for things he knows are lies. He does no know the truth, therefore he must keep fighting for a cause he knows is wrong.

I am sorry for some mistakes in the story also, cutting and pasting might have cut some words out.

And it is only a rough story, we are going to improve on it as we go, and i very much appreciate the suggestions given. I am goping to take into account the suggestion that the Terrant evolve to take on traits of thier enemies, thus humanoid Terrant. That could be an interesting plot twist.
"Chaos is the score upon which reality is written." - Henry Miller.http://emn1ty.deviantart.com
Quote:Original post by Emn1ty
Okay, the reason for all the excersises is because you were just in cryogenig sleep, and these new items are stuff recently developed with help from the Alketh, but with the same basic ballistics technology, considering that most of the Alketh tech has to be redeveloped from the attack flight from thier homeworld.

Okay.
Quote:
You were recently stationed on an outpost before you returned to earth, you volunteered for a new technolgy developed with the Alketh (your suite). You then travel to Mars, which has the top research and developement facilities there and you are unconsiously fitted into this armor. you are then transported to earth via cryostasis because the standard ships of the time are still fairly slow and take around 6 months to traverse between planets without jumping through artificial wormholes (hevent worked out the details about this yet).

That actually seems really slow. Taking the shortest route from Earth to Mars in 6 months gives you an average speed of about 3 km/s. Accelerating at 1g, it would only take about 5 minutes to reach that speed. Accelerating for 25 minutes gets you there in 6 weeks. For 3 hours: 6 days. You probably wouldn't be put in 'cryosleep' for a six day journey, but for a six week journey you might be.

Alternatively, you might be taking a long route (perhaps the shortest route is congested and the only the top brass are important enough for it). In that case, 6 months might be reasonable.
Quote:
Now, it states he doesnt know why he is fighting. This is because he basically feels like a puppet, and tool of war. He knows that there is corrupt rule in the Earth Government and the ALketh high Council, but he does not know the details. Every battle he fights shows him how ruthless the Terrant are to destroy the Alketh (they mostly attack the ALketh first instead of bothering with humans), and he begins to feel sorry for them becuase he knows they have thier own families to return too, and are dying for a cause they may not support. He realizes all he is is an instrument of death, and wonders why he is fighting. He feels that all he is doing is ending lives, and fighting for things he knows are lies. He does no know the truth, therefore he must keep fighting for a cause he knows is wrong.

This is all very well, but you should understand that you're talking about the player's character. This is what you want the player to think, but you can't just force him to think it by showing a cutscene of his character thinking it.

This is why the silent protagonist is better. Don't tell the player how he's feeling: instead give him due cause to feel the way you want him to. Give the player information not available to the average grunt. Allow him to overhear officers speaking about the truth of the war, see fleeting glimpses of Alketh science labs. Have him ordered to kill Terrants who surrendered, make him do a double-take when that what looks like an Alketh is running out of that bombed Terrant stronghold.

The general idea of a soldier growing weary of war and questioning the motives behind it is not a bad one. The potential problem is with how you choose to get this across to the player.
We know this, but we have not made this into the gameplay story, it is just a storyline that sets up the mentality, setting and things that we want in our game. THis will not be a cutscene with him thinking this, but by this time we will have given the player this mentality, and then we can imply it to him with must less striaght forwardness, and thank you for the suggestion.
"Chaos is the score upon which reality is written." - Henry Miller.http://emn1ty.deviantart.com
I think that the story sounds very interesting. I believe if it was made correctly the game would probably be very entertaining.
Quote:Original post by RAZORUNREAL
Quote:Original post by furby100
Irrelevant. Metamorphosis is the correct biological term. A single organism can no more evolve than a single bee can swarm.

True, but a single organism can adapt. You do hard labour, you develop bigger muscles. You could say it's something like that. Maybe they don't sleep, so they have to cocoon themselves to develop.

I appear to have a crossed line. The business you describe with the coccoons is not called evolution. It's called metamorphosis. It is the agency by which the humble caterpillar becomes the butterfly.
Quote:Original post by furby100
I appear to have a crossed line. The business you describe with the coccoons is not called evolution. It's called metamorphosis. It is the agency by which the humble caterpillar becomes the butterfly.

I think he's just been playing around with the evolution chambers in Starcraft too often.

Regarding the Marines - I don't see a problem with them still existing. The Marines have already developed quite a bit in the last forty years. They simple don't do many sea assaults these days. Once space travel comes around, the Marines would probably continue to be the primary fast-response force of the US (or whatever), as they are the lightest, most mobile units in the military. The Army will continue to draw down into smaller, faster units, but will probably remain a larger, stronger option left for big, ugly wars. Still, given the references to the *HUGE* barracks, why don't you just use the Army? Regardless of the real future, don't you think some variety would be nice for exactly the reasons pointed out (Freaking everyone uses the Marines, not least of all Halo, which you story sounds waaay too much like).

As far as ranks, I think Baum has a point. Invent something - there are bound to be more technical jobs and intelligence coordinators in the future, or at least guys who virtually command vehicles.

Lastly, why on earth are you, a measly E1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 (Corporal through Master Sergeant) deciding where to set up base, where to attack, and run the war? Are there Generals, Colonels, etc? Or have you restructured the Marines and simply not informed the player?

Anyways, Nathan there had some very good comments. I really suggest you take them to heart (and probably work on Andrew's spelling).

>>I don't mean to say that the game couldn't be good, but it doesn't appear to be very innovative at first glance. Perhaps the gameplay is more intricate than shown.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
It is still just an idea, and i will take those ideas to heart. The Army, or mayb even a new division for space fights, could be used instead of the truthfully over used Marines.

It does sound fairly haloy, but it is different, i just dont have the rest of it yet. When he types it up i will get the rest posted. And runa spell check through his typed work.

Thank you for all the help.
You take criticism way better than I do.

Keep up the game, it really does look like it could be a lot of fun!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Thanks, and the reason i am taking this so well is because this is what our game is based around, feedback. We dont want to make you play a game we made, but to play a game you made.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement